Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my oil. I put a gallon in, but then I noticed I only got maybe 5/8 of a gallon out. In the sight window there is just a small sliver at the top with no oil. Do I need to drain some out, or should it be ok?

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,393 Posts
I always run 4 qts. Never had any issues of over oiled or excessive venting. The spec is so close to 4 qts I don't think the few or couple ounces extra is going to ever be an issue.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Drain some out, what 2-2 said is correct but you added much more then you initially drained out.

·
Super Moderator
2,393 Posts
After rereading your original post - If you only got 5/8 of a gallon out of it I think you should look into that as a priority. Either you left a considerable amount of dirty oil in the engine or you were quite low to start with?
The filter holds probably 1/2 a quart when removed with whats in it and the oil drainage after the removal. I always let any vehicle I change oil on drain until its hardly a drip left.
Maybe take a look at how clean / clear the oil is right now to give you an idea of if you left contaminated oil in the engine?

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
I always run 4 qts. Never had any issues of over oiled or excessive venting. The spec is so close to 4 qts I don't think the few or couple ounces extra is going to ever be an issue.

Just my 2 cents.
Same experience with lengthy drain and filter change. That's checking the sight glass with the bike on a lift and 100% vertical, and it's really sensitive to the slightest difference in angle. My USA owner's handbook also says 4.0 US Qts. with filter change..., or 3.8 liters.

Will admit I still add 3+ Qts., run the engine for a minute and let it settle for 5 min. per the handbook instructions for a final reading. Always takes the 4 Qts. though to the upper mark/line on the engine case. Never had an issue, touch wood! ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The oil actually does look dirty in the sight window... I didn't think about it at the time, but it is sitting on an uphill incline. I should have turned it around

·
Driftless Admin
11,795 Posts
If that's the case, and you really got less than three quarts out, I'd just redo the oil change. I suppose I wouldn't swap out the filter, but I'd replace all the oil.

(That's a lie, I'd change the filter. But I'd know I was wasting money when I did it. But I'd do it anyways, because that's how I am. Don't be like me.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the same issue. Used the mechanism from an empty spray bottle to pull out enough to get closer to the sight line. Probably not necessary but it was easy and I felt better. Certainly easier than trying to drain it from the plug.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I usually put 4 qts. in, then I run it for a few minutes, shut it down for a few minutes, and check the sight glass. It should be at 1/2. The sight glass never lies. The bike needs to be level. How much goes in depends on how completely it drained. ...J.D.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the same issue. Used the mechanism from an empty spray bottle to pull out enough to get closer to the sight line. Probably not necessary but it was easy and I felt better. Certainly easier than trying to drain it from the plug.
That is a great idea! I tried to use a turkey baster but it wouldn't fit.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Simply loosen the drain bolt very slowly until oil starts trickling out the plug will still be engaged by the threads. let it trickle until you are satisfied with the removed amount. No need for turkey basters, syringes or such things.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I just drained it from the bolt. It actually looks low now, I might have to buy another quart.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Yeah, I just drained it from the bolt. It actually looks low now, I might have to buy another quart.

What'd you do, drain it on the ground? Use the oil that you drained out to bring it back up to where it's supposed to be.

I did what you did(over filled the engine) loosened up the drain plug and let it trickle out. I drained to much and having just put it in and then drained it out I figured it'd be fine to reuse. Of coarse I drained it into a clean container.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What'd you do, drain it on the ground? Use the oil that you drained out to bring it back up to where it's supposed to be.

I did what you did(over filled the engine) loosened up the drain plug and let it trickle out. I drained to much and having just put it in and then drained it out I figured it'd be fine to reuse. Of coarse I drained it into a clean container.
I drained it into a dirty old pan and poured it into the jug with the old oil... I think I'm good, as I read in another thread the sight window is super sensitive to lean angle, I will check it again once I have access to flat pavement instead of just dirt. I still put more in than I got out.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
I drained it into a dirty old pan and poured it into the jug with the old oil... I think I'm good, as I read in another thread the sight window is super sensitive to lean angle, I will check it again once I have access to flat pavement instead of just dirt. I still put more in than I got out.

When I check my oil level with the site glass I balance the bike (as close to upright)without a kick stand, I'm feeling for it to be right on that tipping point of leaning towards me(I'm on the side with the glass) all the while I'm looking at the glass. When I feel the bike start to lean/tip towards me thats where I want to see the level of the oil.
If you just did this today check it in the morn when all the oil is drained to the bottom, you should get a pretty accurate reading.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts