Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad used to tell me I shouldn't ride an air cooled motorcycle on a really hot day. I live in Pennsylvania and we do have days around 100°F. Is he right, could my bike overheat when it's that hot out?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
My Dad used to tell me I shouldn't ride an air cooled motorcycle on a really hot day. I live in Pennsylvania and we do have days around 100°F. Is he right, could my bike overheat when it's that hot out?

Air cooled is exactly that, air cooled. Keep it moving and everything will be plenty safe. Sitting in traffic for long periods of time will get it hot but even then I overheat long before the bike does. Where I'm at it's 95+ degrees Fahrenheit this time of year everyday and I ride a couple times a week. For peace of mind you could always grab one of these oil temp gauges that mount where your oil cap is now. I wouldn't sweat it too much (no pun intended in this heat)

Here's a link to one on ebay-

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/162691811572

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, I added that gauge to my watch list. I usually don't have to sit in traffic all that long, maybe 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I deal with both brutally hot weather and too many traffic signals. I have both the temp gauge shown and an oil pressure gauge on my air cooled America. By watching them I have learned I want to keep my idle speed set above 1000 rpm to keep the oil pressure up on a hot day. If the oil temp runs over 220°f. I get out one of my water pumpers and put the air cooled away until the weather cools down. ...J.D.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
These bikes were testedi n every climate on earth, they sold a lot of them in the Asian market. Here in Florida with about to Bonneville owners I have yet to see an "overheated" Benneville. The Mediden Triumphs had no oil cooled had far less oil capacity, had a meager oil pump, these Hinckleys are superb.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I live in Florida and face 100 degree days on a Daily Basis. I rode Big Bend, TX on a 115 Degree day...I overheated before the bike did. A quality synthetic oil helps ALOT...keep the bike moving...even 15 mph helps. Shut the bike off if you are facing more then a 10 minute stop. The Plastic oil pump gears can melt ruining your day

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree with Duckman. - you usually overheat before the bike does. Us southerners are used to HOT all summer long. As long as your moving its fine but you don't want to stop and idle much longer than a couple of red lights without shutting it off. Use synthetic oil and keep yourself hydrated. Fall's coming!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too live in se Pa,have riden my t-100 in hot weather and have sat in traffic and never noticed it getting too hot.Had a yamaha sratoliner that would overheat in hot weather but never a problem with the Triumph.

·
Registered
516 Posts
When I was living in Austin, TX my Thruxton did just fine in those hot summer months.

The only time I had an issue was last summer going through NYC on a hot day in terrible traffic. I typically would have split lanes in that situation to avoid overheating, but I couldn't fit with the saddle bags I had on. Over time my engine started smoking a bit and got me very nervous. Eventually I reached an overpass where I let it cool off for some time and all was well. I wish I could say the same for my arms that were exposed to the sun the whole time.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I don't know about the bike, but I don't enjoy anything but short hops in the morning and evening here in S.C. this time of year. Our heat indices have been running about 102 to 105 for the past few weeks given our humidity levels.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
If the bikes in good shape the only worry is the rider. Keep yourself properly hydrated, and ventilated. Make sure you don't burn.

If you can stand the heat, so will the bike.
Depends on which of you is the toughest. Last summer it hit 117° here in the Mohave Desert ! Where, in the summer, the coyote chases the jack rabbit, and they are BOTH walking ! :D ...J.D.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Does an aircooled bike running at 220F really notice the difference between an 85 degree air temp and a 105F degree one?
Am sure a human would, or most warm blooded animals, but motorcycles aren't living creatures. I'd say if it's so hot out that the motor overheats (while moving) it's likely way too hot for you to be riding.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't have a car with a working air conditioner, so riding the bike is the coolest I can be unless I borrow a car from someone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts