Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there folks...it was almost 90 deg. F here in Monterey this weekend. Way too nice to do anything else but ride, so I mounted up my camera and shot a little video while riding my Thruxton. Here's the link to the page on Vimeo:

http://www.vimeo.com/2263314

This site allows you to post in HD video (still highly compressed but better than YouTube IMHO) It was shot at 1920 x 1280 and then I used Pinnacle Studio 12 to edit and encode it down to 1280 x 720 and save it as a WMV. Be sure to turn up the volume!

So...if it's raining, snowing, or just cold where you are, just pull this video link up and watch for 10 minutes whenever you need to. I'm not riding particularly fast here, as this is not a road best suited for that...just a nice little ride after work on a beautiful fall day in California.

Later,
BLIGHT:motorbike:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Nice Vid. Looks like some great roads round your patch. As you say a good antidote to the winter here in the UK, Overnight frost last night (2 degrees C) and 12 degrees C today.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Enjoyed your video Blight. Excellent quality. I'm curious as to what kind of camera and mount you're using?

Winter's just starting to set in here in NC. I took Bonnie out yesterday for a short ride. Only saw two other motorbikes all day and they were both Bonnevilles!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Just watched your video, excellent quality. Must say I'm envious of your weather, I went out yesterday, I needed my heated gear on all day. Last Sunday I went out and got wet through, we got torrential rain all day. It still does'nt stop me going for a ride on my Bonnie.

Plasma

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys....

Thanks everybody! I want to shoot one more (then I'll quit-I promise) of a ride over Laureles Grade, which has beautiful banked twisties, limited side traffic access, and excellent grip. I can ride more 'spiritedly' on that road and show how well the Triumph handles.

Someday, maybe a track day? Anyway...the rig is a chest-mount I invented so it completely isolates the camera from vibration (except my heartbeat). The camera is a Canon HF-100 HD (high-def) that shoots up to 60 frames per second at 1920 x 1080 pixels per frame. I set it on 'cine' mode which records at 30 fps, and has a warmer, film like effect.

The HF-100 records directly to SDHC cards...no tapes or DVD's! Actually, there are few moving parts without a tape transport system, plus it's small and light. Shoots nice stills too, and has a 12X optical zoom.

Love the camera...still I need to work on getting a plug-in compatible stereo mic that I can place out of the wind. The audio is pretty poor in this video because I muffled the front-facing mics to quell wind noise and it make the bike sound weird on the video.

Thanks again for the nice comments, and remember to watch it by the fire with a pint on a snowy afternoon.

Cheers,

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nice ride, I like the sound of the bike.

I went for a ride yesterday, all back roads too. the new tires on the Speedie are plenty grippy, and only slid some on the gravel. I saw some other bikes too, one Triumph Bonnie, and alot of Bimmers. Do those Bimmer guys ever put their bikes away? how about their bright green jumpsuits? anyways, only saw one group of sportbikes, which was nice. They usually go flying past me like im standing still, resulting in a blur of noise and color. man, it was cold, so I envy you people with your 90*F temps. 37*F was the lowest I saw, with 65*F being the high.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi there folks...it was almost 90 deg. F here in Monterey this weekend. Way too nice to do anything else but ride, so I mounted up my camera and shot a little video while riding my Thruxton. Here's the link to the page on Vimeo:

http://www.vimeo.com/2263314

This site allows you to post in HD video (still highly compressed but better than YouTube IMHO) It was shot at 1920 x 1280 and then I used Pinnacle Studio 12 to edit and encode it down to 1280 x 720 and save it as a WMV. Be sure to turn up the volume!

So...if it's raining, snowing, or just cold where you are, just pull this video link up and watch for 10 minutes whenever you need to. I'm not riding particularly fast here, as this is not a road best suited for that...just a nice little ride after work on a beautiful fall day in California.

Later,
My Gawd it is so nice to see a bike in the sunshine, that looked such a nice ride [that SUV pulled out a bit sharp though]. Here in the UK we dream of 90 degrees and sunshine. We have had 2 years with no summer..Rain..Wind..Grey..Miseable. So jealous of you guys over there. I am dreaming of the day when I can ride my Bonneville without a wetsuit. Maybe 2009 will have a summer.

·
Registered
181 Posts
As a recent relocation from Santa Cruz, your video brings tears to my eyes (it was 13 F here last night - 13!). Say, was that Carmel Valley Road, perhaps? The ride out to Greenfield on that road was one of my favorites, but I hear it burned pretty badly last summer. Laureles Grade would be swell, and a run down Hiway 1 would be pretty nice too. And to all those who haven't been to the Golden State, it is that good. With all the earthquakes, fires, floods, mudslides, traffic, congestion and budget catastrophies, why would anyone live there? Great roads, great food, great weather, great wine, great people. Believe me, I'll be back.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As a recent relocation from Santa Cruz, your video brings tears to my eyes (it was 13 F here last night - 13!). Say, was that Carmel Valley Road, perhaps? The ride out to Greenfield on that road was one of my favorites, but I hear it burned pretty badly last summer. Laureles Grade would be swell, and a run down Hiway 1 would be pretty nice too. And to all those who haven't been to the Golden State, it is that good. With all the earthquakes, fires, floods, mudslides, traffic, congestion and budget catastrophies, why would anyone live there? Great roads, great food, great weather, great wine, great people. Believe me, I'll be back.
Hey there...sorry it's that cold. Sounds miserable, but I'm sure it's very nice in the summer! That little stretch of road in the video is San Benancio canyon, which you may have noticed has a lot of driveways and mailboxes along it as you ride, so it's no place to horse around. Too many soccer moms pulling out onto the street and trying to intersect your path.

Yes, Carmel Valley road is a blast to ride...a bit rough though, with pot holes & pavement ripples. The Thruxton soaks up the bumps pretty nicely though. I love to ride down Hwy. 1 to Big Sur, very nice road and some of the nicest scenery on the planet. Santa Cruz has some great roads too... the ride past Ben Lomond up into the giant redwoods is twisty and absolutely gorgeous.

Another fun ride is from Hollister heading south to King City on Hwy 25...it's got some nice arrow-straight stretches of smooth pavement coupled with a whole bunch of smooth, well-banked snake-like twisty sections. Always lots of bikes on this road, from HD's just putting along at 50mph, to crotch rocketeers, and everything else in-between (like me).

Yep, there are some nice roads around here, and all over California for that matter. I've lived in CA for 53 years and I'm still discovering this place...it's such a huge state!

I do have some Laureles Grade video I shot a few days ago (with a different camera), and while the action is pretty good, but I'm not too happy with the video or the audio quality, so I will wait to post a really good one when I achieve it.

The weather here cooled off a bit this week (from last week's heat wave), but it was still 72*F today at mid-day near my house. Mornings and evenings are a bit chilly now...but hey, it is late November!

At least I can still sneak in little rides weekdays at lunch-time and on the weekends!

Cheers,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts