Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What advice would you give to someone who is a relatively inexperienced rider trying to go 161 km/hr or 100 miles per hour on a Bonnie T100 while minimising the risk of death?
:confused:

I'm not that young so would like to get there within a year or so :eek:

Ton = Tonne here in Oz

·
Registered
427 Posts
Get a bit more experiance before you try it, building up handling and braking experiance is much more important than doin the ton

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your grandma can do 100mph in a straght line........try 50 around a decent bend, much more rewarding !!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Here in SoCal......if your not doing 90 mph on the freeway....your getting passed!

100 mph is not that big of a deal, but I guess it's all in your perspective. That said.....find a clear straight, flat, open road with a good view of what is ahead....then "give-er-the-berries" :D:D

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Pieman offered good advice - it is in the roadway. A motorcycle will do 100mph for a long time; the problems occur when some outside force, like pothole, dog, car, cop, turn + sand, get in the way. Those are examples of things that can kill you.
I enjoy riding briskly from time to time, but I am not a racer. I choose carefully when I roll the throttle back.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
find a good road .Then run it as fast as it feels ok to you .You will find the ponit where its to fast for you.Better to do it on days when its not to windy .Wind does strange things after you get near 100mph .Tuck your legs in get down on the tank so you dont pull as much air.Doing 100mph is not that hard.DONT GET BUSTED BY THE LAW.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Dunno, maybe update your will and buy a full-face to leave a pretty corpse for the viewing?

But seriously, one would hope that age brings the realization that caution is the better part of valor... a good run is better than a bad stand... and all those other words of wisdom.

We like our friends more alive than dead. You want to do the right thing here.

P

·
Registered
1,576 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Ton

All pieces of advice are very good ones!! The one especially to make sure of is WIND!!!!
@ that speed- just a 1 sec gust can send the bike in another direction. Make sure you got plenty of road in front & on the sides!!! Good luck- It is a real thrill for about 10-15 sec's!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Remember to allow for speedometer error and do 105. ;)

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Your grandma can do 100mph in a straght line........try 50 around a decent bend, much more rewarding !!!!
That's a really good point KB. My grannie can do 100 straight line too. I let her pass me every time, just to catch her in the curves. It's lots of fun toying with Grannie.

·
30,308 Posts
I was going to paste a you tube link to Monty Pythons "Hells Grannies" but I couldn't be bothered! :D

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
maybe to you maybe not to some other people.Heck there might be some grandmas out there that can leave you in a decent bend .Give the guy some slack hes learning.One thing i know from years of rideing everyone has a point in even a stright line where its to fast.Ever have a tank slapper at 135mph +? I have and can tell you that was to fast that day.

·
30,308 Posts
Yeah that's true Mike, I know there have been a few occassions where I was going a lot less than a 100mph in a straight line, and due to various other things going awry - it was still too fast! :eek:

But there it is. Get used to the bike, take your time and above all, enjoy it!

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Doing 100 is pretty easy,As mentioned,find a wide,smooth,flat,deserted road or highway.My only suggestion would be,to know that you are going to do it on a given day,and rev the bike to the redline in EVERY gear.If you just decide."gee,this road is empty,I`ll just gas it" and you are in 5th gear,chances are you won`t get to 100 before the "perfect" conditions change.
just my depressed 100 bucks.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Here in SoCal......if your not doing 90 mph on the freeway....your getting passed!
Yeah, that's for sure!
I tell people that all the time but I know many of them don't believe me.
That's why I installed a 19T front sprocket and still need to drop a couple off the rear ;)
When you're overtaking the majority of vehicles, you're in control. When they're passing you, you are at their Mercy :eek:

1 - 20 of 93 Posts