Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning, just bought my 1st Triumph ST1050 and was wondering which of the two navi will fit the best on the bike without any installtion problems.

Also, what is the best NAVI?

Thank you.

Daren

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ditto

Same question here - I'm tending towards buying a Tomtom though; the price is lower, included headset, and the interface looks easier to control with gloved hands.
Keen to hear others' thoughts

James

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Both are easy to fit. Triumph has a optional SatNav connector cable available and a take off point on the wiring harness.

As for which is best,
Tomtom is easiest to read and good at getting to from A to B especially if you use postcode. Unfortunately it does not work well if you want to plan a series of itineraries ie a days ride going via a series of points or specific roads. The screen is too small to accurately plot the points and as a result it tends to just ignore interim points (waypoints) you have set. TomTom will also only work with a small range of Bluetooth devices such as helmets and phones. (These observations are based on TomTom rider 1)

Garmin (550) is less easy to read, especially at junctions. However, you can easily combine it with a Bluetooth helmet or suitable Aircom or Scala system. This saves having to look down at the screen the whole time. Not good in traffic.
However, if you use it for touring, the real advantage of Garmin is the Mapping Software supplied as standard with the system. I can plan a 10 day trip with a separate itinerary for each day using my home computer and can zoom into junctions and town and just click on a village or junction and add it to the route. Scale can be set from about 50mile down to 100yds. You just down load the routes on to the Garmin using a USB cable. It works very well.

As to which is best. Everyday use TomTom, touring then Garmin. Just wish TomTom would bring out a mapping sytem.

·
Registered
103 Posts
TomTom v2 was a great improvement and works with a lot of other bluetooth devices. For example I have mine paired directly with my intaride intercom. Also the mount for the V2 was a lot better. In fact I lost my V1 when the mount broke and tomtotm replaced it free of charge! The only issure I have is that it will not work with SD/HC cards and I have not found a non HC 4GB card that works so you are limited to 2GB. Not really a problem but I have installed the media player and used to play MP3s at the same time but now I have european maps I haven't got enough room.

Where is the wiring take off. I have only just got the sprint and haven't wired the sat nav in yet?

Thanks
John

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Glad to hear that Tomtom V2 is an improvement on V1. But it still lacks a Mapping System which effectively ruled it out for me. Also I checked on the Tomtom website a year ago and at that time the only helmet it would work with was Nolan which was very expensive. So I replaced the Tomtom V1 with a Garmin as I do a lot of touring along byways and for this Garmin/Bluetooth helmet combination is excellent. However if I am just going to a specific place and don't mind how I get there then I use the Tomtom - so both have their advantages.

Not sure where in the wiring loom the connector fits as the dealer fitted it as part of the PDI and connected it to a socket mounted in the cockpit. As the connector cable from Triumph is quite short, I suspect it is in the wiring under the fairing. Instructions may come with the connecting cable.

The wiring point for the SatNav applies to the Sprint ST/Tiger only and perhaps the Rocket3 but not others. Just fitted a Garmin mount to my Street Triple. No suitable wiring point so had to break into wiring in headlamp at the pilot bulb - not ideal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Daren,:D

I use a standard tom tom (not bike model) and find it simple and easy to use.

Yes, itineraries are a bit of a pain to plan. However, my only real gripe is that Tom Tom doesn't differentiate between sealed and dirt roads, when planning the fastest route from A to B. I know other brands allow selection of a sealed only option. This is a pain in the butt, as it can mean you need to backtrack for miles when you discover it's planned the fastest route home, using 50 kays of rough dirt. Fine if you enjoy that sort of thing, but personally, anything over 10 kays of dirt, I find an alternative.

As for mounting, I made up a wedge shaped timber block covered in thick black felt, which sits under the gps. The block and GPS sits on the top fork clamp, below the ignition key. It's secured with 2 elastic cords and is angled perfectly towards me. Easy to remove and cheap. And it looks quite okay. The only downfall is it's not waterproof, but in this position, a light shower doesn't touch it.

I think the bike specific GPS units are a tad too expensive.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Route planner for TomTom

Greetings all.

TomTom have released a route planner for thier units - it is still in beta form though but seems to work very well. Pity that it does not have detailed street mapping for Australia yet though.

http://routes.tomtom.com/t/

Should take you there.

For the last year, I have been using this third party application, which is supported by TomTom, and is able to launched from TomTom Home v2.6. It is called TYRE (Trace Your Route Everywhere)

http://www.tyre.tk/

It uses Google Maps, and you basically place waypoints on the map, it then calculates the multi waypoint route, and you save it to your Tom Tom GPS. EASY!! ;)

I use the TT Rider V2 - another bonus is that TT continuously update their maps, based on user corrections, so if you see an inaccuracy on the map, you can report it on the GPS, and then when you hook up your GPS to your PC, it loads it up to TomTom. It then downloads the latest corrections to your GPS as well.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Hi Daren,:D

I use a standard tom tom (not bike model) and find it simple and easy to use.

Yes, itineraries are a bit of a pain to plan. However, my only real gripe is that Tom Tom doesn't differentiate between sealed and dirt roads, when planning the fastest route from A to B. I know other brands allow selection of a sealed only option. This is a pain in the butt, as it can mean you need to backtrack for miles when you discover it's planned the fastest route home, using 50 kays of rough dirt. Fine if you enjoy that sort of thing, but personally, anything over 10 kays of dirt, I find an alternative.
When a route is planned on my TT Rider, it gives me a warning if the route is over unsealed roads. I can then choose to let it calculate another route over sealed routes only. The problem is that not all the unsealed roads are marked as unsealed - so there have been times when the fully loaded Sprint ST has had to become a bit of an adventure tourer!

Cheers

·
Registered
896 Posts
There are several other factors to consider, most of which have been covered in other threads.

1. how/where to mount the units (handle bar/ yolk / in tankbag etc) the type of luggage you have will also have a deciding factor, as theres some mounting locations that due to the size tank bag, you won`t be able to see a GPS on the yolks, likewise it may foul the lock of the bars
2. the audio interface between the rider and GPS ........... e.g Starcom/autocom/scala
3. what sort of use you intend to put it to ............. e.g Uk only, or pan european riding, as the TomTom European maps are aledgedly better than garmins

As pointed out earlier, this has been covered in other threads. the common consensus on this forum, for the best combo, is the zumo 550, with Gadget guy or RAM mount, coupled with anyone of the 3 names audio coms units

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
FYI - For our Euro brothers, Tom Tom is the way to go for Euro applications. Garmin for North America.

Tom Tom is a Euro company and their mapping is second to none for over there.

I think the Nuvi is a little more feature oriented and user friendly but Euro mapping is secondary to them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all. I justed wanted to know if the TOM TOM or the ZUMO will fit out of the box onto the Sprint ST 2009 model.

Thanks again for all the posts.:)

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Thanks for that link to Tyre!

It looks pretty good! I've been messing with it on my desktop. I'm going to bring my TTONE in and see if it accepts the route.

To the OP, I have a post on here somewhere that describes my mounting for a TomTom ONE on my '03 ST, using a RAM Mount and some ingenuity.

The automotive unit works fine. Of course, you can't hear it, but I don't use mine that way, anyhow. I usually stick to Distance to Go and Turn indications.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have a zumo, all I did for mounding was purchase two longer C-bolts, worked out great. I mounded on my left hand bar where the clip-on mounts to the triple tree. It worked out very well there.

Good Luck,
Dr. T

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
For Australians

The company I work for here in Oz uses Tom Tom across the board and my wife has one also, I use an elcheapo unit on my bike that works just fine.

I have sons in the electronics and IT industries and they tell me that in Australia Tom Tom has by far the greatest market share, I know from experience after sales service is very good here.

I like the Tom Tom because it is easy to use and we update maps every year or so from the net.

I also like my elcheapo Tevion (Chinese) unit I use on my Sprint on trips, it only cost $129 and uses Windows Mobile6 as it's operating platform and can be used like a PDA for MP3's, movies etc as well as a GPS, which uses "Route 66" software.
I have used the Tevion on several long trips in the car and shorter ones on the Sprint and it works fine and has some extra features my base unit Tom Tom One does not.

cheers
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have a Zumo 450 that I've been using for about two years on another machine.

If I had to do it again, I would have purchased the 550 instead as it comes with the car mount and bluetooth.

Garmin also has a Zumo 660 coming out very soon. I'm not sure if it's worth the price, but it looks like they've addressed many of the short comings of the previous Zumo units.

The only downside to the Zumo, is that sometimes it tends to route you on roads which turn into gravel, dirt, or cross streams. Ron from TOTD has a great write up on his site. http://www.tailofthedragon.com/GPS_hints.html

I've also noticed that with the impending release of the 660, prices have jumped on the older Zumo units. I got the 450 (two years ago) for around $400 new.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts