Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 2004 RS last week with 30000kms on the clock. I just want to know if warming up the motor is the best practice. My old RS I would warm to 42degC before taking off.
Sorry if there is already a thread on this but I could not find one.
Be safe

·
Registered
965 Posts
I never worry about warming up. If freezing cold, it might idle while I button my gear against the weather, but I don't think it's necessary. I won't push it hard until it's been run a few minutes. By the time I'm out of my neighborhood a mile or so, it's ready for anything.

I put 104,000 miles my first Triumph triple and 84,000 miles on my second. No issues with engine wear or oil consumption.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response and wow if you get that much mileage then I can not see any benefit in letting it idle for around 3to4 minutes to warm it up.
Be safe

·
Registered
267 Posts
The only warm up I ever do is to start the bike in my unheated garage, then back it out before heading off, maybe a minute at most. I find it is a lot more important to go at a leisurely pace for about a mile to get the tires warmed up. Once the tires are sticky, the rest of the bike seems ready to do whatever I want of it. This is especially true when the outside temperature is below freezing. My previous Sprint was a 98, with carbs. It needed a mile or so before the engine was ready to respond well, sometimes more than 2 miles on 20F days. 2011 Sprint works immediately.

·
3,008 Posts
Zero need to warm up a modern fuel injected bike

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
There's a thread here where a member started his modern classic, left the choke on went back inside, left the bike running for 20 minutes I think and seized it!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
My ritual is to gear up, mount up, and start the bike. Then put the gloves on. By the time I've got them on, the bike is ready to go.

Ditto the tires, though. Consider the grip before you get crazy in corners.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are many opinions on whether or not or how long to warm up ICE's on every forum.
If you've ever seen the difference in oils when fully warm and in cold climates I'd think anyone would want to at least warm up an engine at least until the idle has stabilized.
I know guys who will gear up, get on, start up and ride away immediately at any temperature. The guys I know that do that are also not the ones who work on their own vehicles. But they don't seem to have many problems either. It's all anecdotal experiences.
I've read various technical publications that state it's not important to warm up a modern FI engine and as long as it can idle you're good to go.

Personally I do pre-checks, start up, and then put on my helmet and gloves on, then ride easy at first.
I think more than just the engine oil needs to warm up, at least a little.
Plus on a motorcycle there's more at risk if something is amiss you didn't notice so I don't mind taking it easy at first.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Whilst I agree with most of what I've read on this thread, I think there needs to be a distinction between being good to go/riding off, and using full throttle/lots of revs.

With modern bikes you can just hit the button and ride off, but it's still worth letting the oil warm up before getting too enthusiastic on the throttle.

One of my other bikes with a fancy LCD rev counter; it shows a lower red line when the engine is cold and that increases gradually to the "normal" red line as the engine warms up. It only takes a mile or two, but it's a handy reminder

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
FWIW, my old Buell instructor said take it easy for the first 15 miles as there's a lot of metal to warm up. For dyno runs we'd ride the bike for 15 miles, let it sit for 5 minutes and then have at it.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I start my bike before I put gloves and helmet on, so it's only running for a minute or two before riding off. I take it easy for a fair period, because while the temp gauge rises quickly, the oil temp takes a good 10-15km to reach nominal temperature.
The 1290's had some issue with crushing oil filters, which was traced to over eager riders revving the engine while the oil was cold. Sorted with a new filter with pressure relief valve, but not something you want to activate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts