Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 cbr 929rr with just over 11000 miles on it, is in excellent shape, erion exhaust, tinted screen, custom graphics on the tail section, aftermarket footpegs, new rear tire. It needs a new front tire, but thats it. The bike is like brand new and I get compliments on it all of the time from young and old people alike (especially senior citizens, I thought they hated crotch rockets).
I have money down on an 07 s3 and the dealer said they would give me $4500 for trade (its the highest they can go). If I sell it outright, I would like to get around $5500 for it, but would still have to put a front tire on. Would I be better off trading the bike in and be done with it or is it worth putting a front tire on and waiting until spring to sell the bike for more.
Do any of you guys have experiences similiar to this, maybe regretting trading the bike in for less or regretting waiting to sell the bike for more??
:cool:

·
Registered
344 Posts
traded my 05 R1...i am very impatient though :-D

·
Registered
480 Posts
I would trade it in. This time of year still slow for bike sales . and then if you need to find someone that wants a bike with 11,000 miles on it. I wouldnt bother with it you may not make as much cash but at least your guaranteed a buyer. JUST MY @ CENTS THOUGH!!!!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Dude, talk to kcjones. He's going through almost that exact same thing, probably with the same dealer, he's from St Paul too. His thread is a few down from this one entitled "Almost a done deal Pt2". He can probably through some wisdom your way on this.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep, its the same dealer, i've put some replies on kcjones post on his new bike, which is one helluva sweet bike.

·
Registered
130 Posts
How fast do you want to get your hands on the s3? You can put an unlimited renewal add in cycletrader for about $40. Maybe go that route and see what kind of response you get.

If you've got a digital camera or image of your bike and a credit card, you could place the ad right now. I don't think it would show up in print for 2 weeks though.

I can look out my window right now and I KNOW you're not going riding anytime soon. :hammer:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, i'm looking out my window wishing I had a snowmobile right now, but i'd rather have an s3 anyway. Thanks for the info on the cycletrader, I might do that for a month or two and if it doesn't sell, trade it in. I would like to get the s3 as soon as possible, kind of impatient I guess, but with this weather....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Trade it in. You wont have to pay the trade in value in taxes. So you should save about $250. 929 are grat bike though I have one and would never sell it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On 2007-03-02 18:04, GPZ1170 wrote:
Trade it in. You wont have to pay the trade in value in taxes. So you should save about $250. 929 are grat bike though I have one and would never sell it.
I agree with you about never selling it. I'm still trying to figure out a way to keep it, but money is a little tight and my wife would kill me. Your right about it being a great bike, it will always be one of my favorites.

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
$4500 is purdy good money from a dealer fer a 6 yr old (not quite :-D )liter bike. Anyways, if I was look'n fer one, I wouldn't give ya much more than that. Now if you have the erion racing edition 929, ya might have a leg to stand on, but only to just that right one look'n fer it. :hammer: I'd trade it. :-D

·
Registered
78 Posts
I traded in my 03 Ninja, for a 06 s3 they gave me 4500 for my bike and it had a Corbin seat and muzzy slip-on but everything else was stock. It had little over 10,000 miles. But the genius that I am bought the s3 in the middle of September so I didn't get a lot or riding time on it yet. Can't wait for spring.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmmm, you guys have me lean'n towards the trade option...that s3 could be in the garage real quick if I trade.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Trade it in and avoid the hassles of selling outright. It's worth avoiding the aggrevation of doing it yourself.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Just how many Not really serious buyers do ya want standing in your garage asking stupid questions, or calling at dinnertime to try and talk ya down in price before ever seein the bike. That seems like a decent price for a trade in.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On 2007-03-03 06:08, itchin wrote:
Just how many Not really serious buyers do ya want standing in your garage asking stupid questions, or calling at dinnertime to try and talk ya down in price before ever seein the bike. That seems like a decent price for a trade in.
I agree with you on that one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts