Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post pics of your seat again please!

I'm serious considering having this done to my bike.

Someone here has two grommets punched into his seat foam so he could access the seat bolts easier.

I'd love to see those photos again please. Could a auto upholsterer do it? What size grommets did you have put in? I remember them being black too, it looked VERY clean.

Thanks!

-Kory

·
Registered
326 Posts
To me, thats a lot of trouble for nothing...
Me, I just put industrial strength Velcro to attach the seat. I can now remove it within a second, and no more cursing about the freakin' screws to attach the seat. ;)

My two cents.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
To me, thats a lot of trouble for nothing...
Me, I just put industrial strength Velcro to attach the seat. I can now remove it within a second, and no more cursing about the freakin' screws to attach the seat. ;)

My two cents.
Thanks for your idea but I'd really like these grommets. I prefer to use the stock bolts and would like to have easier access to the bolts.

I know you think it's a lot of trouble for nothing but I like going to trouble for my bike, I like creative projects that improve the design / function of the bike's design.

If I kept your "lot of trouble for nothing" mentality I wouldn't come up with projects like my wall hangers ;)

To each their own way of thinking :) Go your own way.

--Kory

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Calm down, Kory. STORMRIDER was only expressing his opinion. He is entitled, isn't he? Seems to me that you've been known to do the same once in a while.

His point was that your "project" seems to be another solution in search of a problem. I tend to agree, but you certainly can disagree.:D

BTW, your logic, "If I kept your "lot of trouble for nothing" mentality I wouldn't come up with projects like my wall hangers", solidifies his point, and loses the debate for you.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're both failing to see my point.

I enjoy these projects they aren't tiresome or troublesome. I like putting in that extra effort towards a project.

OnD i wasn't upset, why do you always take my posts as being threatening? My response was neutral. To each their own way.

Yea I could slap some good old hook and loop under the seat but I clearly stated my reasons for wanting nice looking grommets on my stock seat.

Last I checked this forum was for thoughts, not debates, stormrider and I aren't having a debate, his opinion is his own and so is mine. There's no debate.

Thanks for chiming in, I can always expect you to.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Threatening?!!!? :LaughAtYou: Chew gotta be kiddin.

Just expressing opinions, politely......sans sarcasm, thank you.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could a moderator delete all this bull sh!te, none of it relates to the original thread.

OnD if there were an ignore member button I would've used it by now for you.

I'm so very tired of your mouth. Why don't you just ignore my threads and keep your nose out of my posts.

I'm thankful I live on the other side of the country... sheesh.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
..... umm scuse me:eek: I cant remember ever seeing them Kory.

Are you thinking of the female threaded pieces on the sides of the seat that the early 1050s had? You could attach a seat cowl to them.

Grant:cool:

Very good thought Grant, but this member has a blue sprint st and he had two black grommets punched all the way through the foam so he could access the bolt heads easily underneath.

Sorry for the BS above, OnD really knows how to get under my skin, and he knows this.

I saw the members seat in the gallery when I was just browsing and now I can't find it again. >.<

Hopefully the guy that grommeted his seat will read this thread.

-Kory

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Kory

Kory

relax mate you like to dish out your rather strong feelings about others thoughts rather often, and are not so good when someone says anything remotely negative about something you post.

If you think OND is yanking your chain then don't you think you are encouraging him by your reaction.:rolleyes: Think about that for a while.

Just chill sunshine............take a deep breath :huh:

There now I have bumped you to the top again.:)

DaveM:3dcool:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Could a moderator delete all this bull sh!te, none of it relates to the original thread.

OnD if there were an ignore member button I would've used it by now for you.

I'm so very tired of your mouth. Why don't you just ignore my threads and keep your nose out of my posts.

I'm thankful I live on the other side of the country... sheesh.
Not wanting to Stir the Pot even more....(well not much).

But I thought you could do an Ignore via the User CP and the left menu option Buddy /Ignore Lists.

That way you both could add each other to your ignore lists and peace will rain supreme....mind you, that would make it a llittle more boring for the rest of us.

Just for my 2 cents worth TrH, you kind of lost your high ground when you came back with the comment to Stormriders post with "If I kept your........Mentality"
It was kind of a slag to Stormrider when all he was saying was he had a very simple solution to the problem (mind you, pinching his seat would be very easy).

I know you did not mean anything by the comment...but it was a little insensitive in its wording and it is a moderators job to keep it civil.
Hey, that is most likely the way you are, I know a few gruff fellows and its not something to think twice about down the pub...but on a forum,
It's best to play nice with the other members.

I'm one of the most sarcastic buggers on the planet (lowest form of wit) and I find myself editing most of my posts to make sure it doesn't come across offensive (unless I've had a few beers) ...

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Great find Keanhi :D

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I have been known to grasp some free hanging chains and giving them a yank. :D Guilty as charged.

In this instance, I was trying to stay on subject until the chain was lowered. But I do try to avoid the personal attack route in the forum....it would be too easy and totally worthless. keanhi's assessment is pretty much spot on.

As regards the single seat grommet, it is my understanding that the single fastener was Triumph's original design but that it was disapproved by some regulatory agency which insisted on two fasteners. I guess they had visions of us flying off the bikes, seat and all. You could surmise that the remaining threaded center hole in the bracket is evidence of the original concept. Anyhow, Triumph complied by utilizing Value Engineering and thus the two fasteners with the spring clip nuts.

As stated in the referenced thread, the two side grommets were intended for the factory seat cowl which never was released to the public.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Why even secure the rear of the seat?? I just leave it alone and have the screws just screwed down on the rear of the plastic body. Food for thought.:p

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
That will work just about as good as any other method. It certainly isn't going to come off, and the fairing remains secured.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Why even secure the rear of the seat?? I just leave it alone and have the screws just screwed down on the rear of the plastic body. Food for thought.:p
+1

I pretty much do the same thing, only, I secure it a bit more in the back portion with Velcro.

BTW... I REALLY don't see why you're spanking the monkey on this one Korey.

·
Registered
357 Posts
On the 09 (versus the 06)I am not sure you even need to screw it on anymore. There are now rubber stands on the seat that cause the seat to really have a hard time taking its place, along with two tabs on the seat that fit into slots on the bike... one above the battery and one back on the sub frame. I can't imagine a case where the screws would secure this thing in a beneficial way above and beyond what the new hardware adds to the situation.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
hatch'man's description sounds the same as the pre 09s, and I agree with his assessment of the security, FWIW. :D

1 - 20 of 63 Posts