Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just installed a K&N filter in my 09 S3.I am ready to install Arrow Ti slipons.I will have to ride about 30 miles to my dealer of choice for the "brain surgery".is that acceptable or should i let the dealer install the cans and TOR before the bike runs?Seems to me it should not harm the engine to run prior to the "personality modification"but things are constantly changing! HELP!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Your primary fear would be a lean condition. Personally I don't think an air filter change is going to generate a big enough problem to cause engine damage.

I'd worry more about the greater size &amount of particles that the K&N filter is passing into your engine.

I've observed first-hand actual test data and empirical data that shows K&N filters to have poorer particle filtering properties than stock OEM filters.

When I was an engineer at Honeywell, my good friend Lou Brand started a business called Cleveland Technical Center, which performed oil analysis on internal combustion engines.

Cleveland Technical Center
3319 W Earll Dr
Phoenix, AZ 85017
(602) 253-6515

Silicon (dirt) contamination in motor oil was always found to be increased after switching to K&N automotive* filters, and decreased after switching back to standard paper filters.

Also, after using K&N Filters, dirt residue in the intake housing downstream of the filter always appeared to be greater.

*Note, no tests were performed on motorcycles.

Consider that if the flow is greater, it stands to reason that more crap is bypassing the filter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Your primary fear would be a lean condition. Personally I don't think an air filter change is going to generate a big enough problem to cause engine damage.

I'd worry more about the greater size &amount of particles that the K&N filter is passing into your engine.

I've observed first-hand actual test data and empirical data that shows K&N filters to have poorer particle filtering properties than stock OEM filters.

When I was an engineer at Honeywell, my good friend Lou Brand started a business called Cleveland Technical Center, which performed oil analysis on internal combustion engines.

Cleveland Technical Center
3319 W Earll Dr
Phoenix, AZ 85017
(602) 253-6515

Silicon (dirt) contamination in motor oil was always found to be increased after switching to K&N automotive* filters, and decreased after switching back to standard paper filters.

Also, after using K&N Filters, dirt residue in the intake housing downstream of the filter always appeared to be greater.

*Note, no tests were performed on motorcycles.

Consider that if the flow is greater, it stands to reason that more crap is bypassing the filter.
Greater volume of particles or Larger particle sizes?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a BMC filter, SAI blockoff, removed pre-cat, added TORS system...haven't remapped yet, it runs pretty well actually. Still plan on remapping when spring arrives. I see no issue with riding yours to the dealer for the tune. Save yourself some cash in the process to.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Greater volume of particles or Larger particle sizes?
To my knowledge nobody ever compared particle size. It could be done if someone took comparison "smears" of the intake housing and viewed the particles in an SEM.

The quantitative testing I referred to was oil analysis, where a portion of the drained oil is evaluated for contamination. Specifically there was a higher content of silicon (dirt) after using a K&N for 3000 miles and less after switching back to a paper element for 3000 miles.

The qualitative testing was just done by looking at the intake housing downstream of the K&N filter.

Realistically, modern motor oils probably generate film coverage that is good enough to minimize wear from silicon particles. My friend told me not to panic about using a K&N filter, that the only difference is an engine may need a ring job at 140,000 miles instead of 150,000 miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts