Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I found a 67, T100C at a great price. It has been sitting in a barn/garage since at least 97. It came as a complete bike with the wrong exhaust system on it. In the two trashcans-o-stuff that came with it, was the original exhaust with a broken bracket. I got a new bracket and put the original exhaust back on the bike. I also found the correct front fender, which is also back on the bike. The tank is so good at this point, I have no plans on repainting it, at least for now. The only dent on the bike is in the oil tank. As I said, this is a really clean, survivor.

So - do I make it mechanically sound and leave it as a barn find/survivor, or do I take it apart and repaint/restore everything?? (Rebuilt the carb and it starts first kick, almost everytime.)

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
99 Posts
At the end of the day of course it is your call but it looks pretty sweet from that one pic. New gators, etc., of course but if it was me I would tidy it up, get it and get some miles of it. No doubt some mechanical issues will crop up. Deal with them as they come and enjoy! As they say "They're only original once", and your looks a beauty!

John

·
Registered
47 Posts
At the end of the day of course it is your call but it looks pretty sweet from that one pic. New gators, etc., of course but if it was me I would tidy it up, get it and get some miles of it. No doubt some mechanical issues will crop up. Deal with them as they come and enjoy! As they say "They're only original once", and your looks a beauty!

John
+1 Original is always preferred by me to a restoration. Anything can be restored at any time. It's only original once and there will be less and less as years go by. Keep it original and ride it as long as you can.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm a firm believer in if it ain't broke don't fix it.A pretty paint job doesn't make it go any better either so get out and do some miles on her

·
Registered
472 Posts
Nice looking bike. My 2 cents............Give her a good cleaning but leave her as is with the exception of adding new gaitors. Go use some Meguiar's and clean,buff and wax that paint and she will shine for sure. Giving her a good cleaning will also give you a great chance to get famaliar will all the nooks of the bike.

·
Registered
355 Posts
leave it like it is...get it running and replace only what is necessary, and maybe improve the electrical system for reliability(boyer, podtronics and maybe a new alternator and rotor)....restore it and you've got an expensive restored bike. which in a couple of years is probably going to look like the classic "older restoration"...to me nothing looks worse tha a 10 year old restoration...totally characterless...whereas an original old bike tells a story...not to mention 90% of aftermarket replacement stuff is not anything like the quality of the original...sorry for the rant but Im sick of seeing overdone restorations that never work for their living..

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
Kinda like the old, "I have my great-grandfather's hammer that has been in the family for generations. We've had to replace the handle twice and the head once since he died..." I vote original.;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys, I was already leaning toward making it mechanically sound and riding the wheels off of it as it is. I have new gators that will go on it when I change the fork seals and put on the new tires. If DMV will cooperate, I will get it registered for the street again today. Wish me luck, California DMV is a mysterious place with many hoops to jump through.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I vote "REFURB", meaning only repair or replace whatever has perished or is totally unserviceable, do a full maintenance, and enjoy the heck out of it as-is.
I agree with this part. Seems pretty good as is!

silverfish

·
Registered
32 Posts
Leave it alone,I own one of those over restored bikes (69 bonny) love riding it scared of wearing it out!! Going buy another one i don't care about.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Bought this '72 21/2 years ago with 1,670 miles. It now has 15,413 on it. I did a REFURB on the common sense stuff but the tins look like hell.

Do the common sense stuff and ride the hell out of it.

When it breaks fix it. Repeat

TD

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
I'm with the majority and GPZ here.....clean it up, get the mechanicals in top shape, and ride it! That's what I did with my '71 T100C, and it's a blast. And your paint is in much better condition than mine.

I took the other path with the '72 T120V, but that because the tank, and mudguards were in terrible shape. And I'm not selling it, so value was irrelevant. So there's a place for both.

My vote is with most of the rest....

·
Registered
11,459 Posts
Nice bike...I vote along with the majority-get it running well, and leave some rubber on the road before considering a restore (that can always been done when you retire;)).
Things that I would focus on if it were mine: fix the dent in oil tank (that would make me nuts looking at it every day especially if I didn't do it :eek:). Make sure I have the perfect fitting handlebar style (everyone has there own confortable set). Consider putting signals back on (safer at night). And I would have to have the perfect sounding/style exhaust (that takes some time to get it right if Ididn't like the sound of the stock ones).

Just that list would be a ton of work and dough for someone like me and keep me occupied for a while (looks like you have a Norton during the down time so you don't have to rush it). Good luck on your decision. Remember too that you can change your mind either way at any time. The bike will always look and sound good either way--it's a Triumph ;)...

P.S. Tiger Dale's bike was a real find! What is that between frame and front wheel?

http://www.youtube.com/user/triumpht120rv

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone, you have basically re-enforced a decision I had already pretty much made. The bike stays as is, after I make it mechanically sound. It is currently on a stand with both wheels off getting new tires. While the wheels are off, it gets new fork seals and gators. It will get valve adjust, etc and all clean/new fluids. The dent in the tank, I may just get another tank and set this one aside, since it is the original. Turn signals? I don't think this bike ever had them. As I said, the original exhaust and front fender are already back on the bike. Clutch adjust and all that kind of stuff. I am then gonna ride the new wheels bald. From what little I have been able to ride it so far, it seems like it is going to be a blast to ride. I even got it registered in one trip to California DMV today. Now that is a trick.

Thanks again to all for your input.

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Hey, BigBird - if it didn't have signals on it originally, DON'T put them on! Same with mine. Just makes it more "vintage" since you have to signal with your hands, and should pass inspection as is since it was original. You'd devalue it to put signals on it.....

·
Registered
884 Posts
Nice bike...I vote along with the majority-get it running well, and leave some rubber on the road before considering a restore (that can always been done when you retire;)).
Things that I would focus on if it were mine: fix the dent in oil tank (that would make me nuts looking at it every day especially if I didn't do it :eek:). Make sure I have the perfect fitting handlebar style (everyone has there own confortable set). Consider putting signals back on (safer at night). And I would have to have the perfect sounding/style exhaust (that takes some time to get it right if Ididn't like the sound of the stock ones).

Just that list would be a ton of work and dough for someone like me and keep me occupied for a while (looks like you have a Norton during the down time so you don't have to rush it). Good luck on your decision. Remember too that you can change your mind either way at any time. The bike will always look and sound good either way--it's a Triumph ;)...

P.S. Tiger Dale's bike was a real find! What is that between frame and front wheel?

http://www.youtube.com/user/triumpht120rv
Cheap tool bag. Now attached to the rear grab rail.

TD

1 - 20 of 23 Posts