Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you want blue pipes, leave it in. If you don't, take it out; no ill effects from removing it, unless you are of the enviornmental type and think you will end the world.
Mine was removed before the engine was ever run.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
From a previous discussion:

Pros:
-Reduces and/or halts bluing of the pipes (although not in all cases)
-Decreases head temperature (20°- Ed)
-Increases accessibility to the spark plugs
-Reduces a small amount of weight
-Reduces visual clutter
-May reduce popping on deceleration (although not in all cases)

Cons:
-performance is unaffected
-Dramatically increases Hydrocarbon, CO and NOx emissions (10 to 20 times - Diego) that contribute to lowering the air quality and the increasing of greenhouse gasses; sited as the cause of global warming.

·
Registered
666 Posts
In regards to ones bike, anything that reduces extra heat is probably a good thing in the long term. Evey see the last hot dog on the A+ mini-market grill?

As to "stops bluing," don't be setup for disappointment.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I've heard of people who's pipes turned blue on a speedmaster, but it seems rare. I rode mine for a thousand miles b4 i removed the AI with absolutly no bluing. Unlike bonnies, speedmasters and americas have double walled headers so unless the pipes are getting unusually hot they generally don't blue.

I found no real advantage removing the AI but did find it cause me some problems in starting and warming up. This seems rare tho, and a few have reported the same thing, but VERY FEW. But as i recall it may have something to do with the california models due to the EVLS emissions system.

On the other hand, once i got pipes and modded the airbox and all that the problem went away. In fact it may have departed right after i installed the pipes, but to be honest it's been a while and i don't recall exactly what stopped it. But i would suggest leaving it on unless you are going to add pipes and air mods. It really doesn't cause any negitive effects at all except to the pipes on bonnies. And some don't consider bluing negitive.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I took mine off almost entirely to get rid of the clutter. My pipes were already blue, I kinda like it that way, but I want as few hoses etc as possible. I also removed the CA emissions stuff, but then I don't live in CA!

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Ridge's list is pretty thorough re: the pros and cons.

He is kidding about the horsepower, of course. :)

The AI pulls air into the exhaust port after combustion has taken place, so it does not affect fuel-air mixture in any way. Its function is to enable afterburning of any residual hydrocarbons in the exhaust stream.

Whether the presumed 20 degrees difference in head temperature really means anything is debatable (I'd like to see the raw numbers, and to know whether that was with AI removal only or with exhaust system and jetting changes), since it's designed to handle astonishing amounts of heat anyway.

Still, the list is thorough and balanced.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
If I had to over again, I'm not sure I would
have removed the AI.

After reading up on the amount of pollutants
the AI potentially helps reduce (Diego, for one)
and talking with some some pretty
knowledgeable folks (Strontje, for another)
about the very real effects of these pollutants
seem to be having on air quality and life on
earth in general, it would be really difficult for
me to justify doing it again.

Another thing to consider is that blue pipes
are the signs of a classic Triumph Bonneville
anyway.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:
Embrace the Blue!

[ This message was edited by: Ridge on 2006-03-06 14:16 ]

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've had my AI removed, it was suggested to me by the dealer when I put on new pipes (Thunderbike, yee haa!), I'm jiggered if i knew anything about it, so i did it. My pipes seem to have stopped blueing. However, my advice...
Leave it in and get some black headers, COOOL, and help save the planet, Cooler.

·
Registered
227 Posts
[If you are in Cali, you might have to leave it on. Do you have to have emissions tests on your bike each year?]

There is no emission testing for bikes in California (yet).
If you're really concerned about the planet, ride a bicycle. And if you're concerned about overpopulation, ride a bicycle in LA and die young.

JR

·
Registered
633 Posts
joerockhead,

I thought your post ended here: (browser window cut it off)

[If you're really concerned about the planet, ride a bicycle. And if you're concerned about overpopulation, ride a bicycle]

funnier that way… ie: "The 40 year old virgin"

[ This message was edited by: GeoDiablo on 2006-03-07 06:45 ]

·
Registered
265 Posts
The pipes will blue whether its in or not. The chrome is *****. The main advantages of removing it is response and cold weather running. You have to bump up the idle mixture along with the removal otherwise you don't really see that much improvement. Bump those out to about 2-2.5 turns. Then get some aftermarket open pipes.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Go with Dardoonk. AI & stock mufflers are there to get the bike on the market, past the EU pollution codes. No hp gain with AI removal, but the pipes will color a lot more evenly.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I didn't take mine off my Speedy because it runs great anyway. I have changed the exhaust and opened up the intake and had the bike dyno tuned......awesome.

I have not seen a Speedy or America with blue pipes, as Daz said, they are double walled and would need to get very hot to affect the outer skin.

I have zero backfire or popping, my previous ride, an America used to splutter and fart and backfire all the time with the AI removed. It didn't bother me but it was so loud that it would startle pedestrians.

Your call, but if it was me I'd leave it in.......Binnsy :-D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts