Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Triumph Thruxton 1200RS - 2022 delivery. Verex decat exhaust, Omega Racer aluminium fairing.
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am waiting on delivery of a Thruxton 1200 RS to Darwin, Australia,
In the meantime I have ordered a bunch of performance and aesthetic enhancements.
I am going airbox delete, catalytic delete with high flow, no baffle exhaust.... As I am new to the world of modern electronic tuned motorcycles I am very confused by the wide range of opinions on ECU remapping, Power Commanders, Dyna Jet etc....
Some folks say the bike will run just fine with the stock ECU, others say a dyno and ECU remapping is essential..,,, other say use a Power Commander.
The bike will be for road use only. I am not overly concerned about performance gains , just to sound and look good,,,, for a 72 year old I think stock power will be fine. However, I obviously want the bike to run reliably and not run lean.... there is no local option for a dyno tune as the nearest dyno is 3000km away. I have found a TuneWorks file is available for the RS from DNK Tune Works (USA) but not sure if I want to try remapping myself and make a mess of the ECU... Opinions please....

·
Registered
Triumph Thruxton 1200RS - 2022 delivery. Verex decat exhaust, Omega Racer aluminium fairing.
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can also send your ECU to DNK TuneWorks for peace of mind. We’ve tuned well over a thousand bikes, closing in on 2000 by the time 2022 will be over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The DNK website says mail in for North American customers only.... I am in Australia, so bike is Euro 5

·
Registered
374 Posts
I am waiting on delivery of a Thruxton 1200 RS to Darwin, Australia,
In the meantime I have ordered a bunch of performance and aesthetic enhancements.
I am going airbox delete, catalytic delete with high flow, no baffle exhaust.... As I am new to the world of modern electronic tuned motorcycles I am very confused by the wide range of opinions on ECU remapping, Power Commanders, Dyna Jet etc....
Some folks say the bike will run just fine with the stock ECU, others say a dyno and ECU remapping is essential..,,, other say use a Power Commander.
The bike will be for road use only. I am not overly concerned about performance gains , just to sound and look good,,,, for a 72 year old I think stock power will be fine. However, I obviously want the bike to run reliably and not run lean.... there is no local option for a dyno tune as the nearest dyno is 3000km away. I have found a TuneWorks file is available for the RS from DNK Tune Works (USA) but not sure if I want to try remapping myself and make a mess of the ECU... Opinions please....
If that is truly your position then consider just finding the slip ons that sound as you like and save a bunch of money.

Then if you desire more you can always spend more.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It’s possible doing an ECU adaptation will be sufficient for the bike to run. But for all of those mods, money spent for a DNK tune is money well spent.I would not recommend a power commander or dynajet for what it is worth.

I don’t mean this in a negative way, but if you think the power is sufficient and prioritize reliability, why not ride the bike as is? And then consider further modifications if necessary.

AQ

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If that is truly your position then consider just finding the slip ons that sound as you like and save a bunch of money.

Then if you desire more you can always spend more.
Yes.... but the exhaust system has to look as good as it sounds.... I have an Australian custom built system (Verex) already ordered .... Shorty mufflers with balance pipe between headers, finished in a gloss black ceramic coating.... will look trick rather than using the common stainless, chrome or aluminium finishes.... If I find I want more power in the future, then I already have the pipes I need.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s possible doing an ECU adaptation will be sufficient for the bike to run. But for all of those mods, money spent for a DNK tune is money well spent.I would not recommend a power commander or dynajet for what it is worth.

I don’t mean this in a negative way, but if you think the power is sufficient and prioritize reliability, why not ride the bike as is? And then consider further modifications if necessary.

AQ
Like many folks, I want to 'personalize' my bike.... look good and sound good is just as important to me as outright power for street use.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Totally understandable.

I only suggested so because I recently purchased a 2020 Thruxton RS, after riding and modifying a 900 until it was nigh unrecognizable. I was eager to make changes to the RS but rode the bike stock for a few months. My conclusion was that I was overall very happy (wheelies!) and so far I haven't done too many modifications. Fender eliminator, exhaust, mirrors, throttle spacers, that's it.

Whatever you do to your new bike, I am sure you will be happy. Which color did you get, if I may ask?

AQ

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Totally understandable.

I only suggested so because I recently purchased a 2020 Thruxton RS, after riding and modifying a 900 until it was nigh unrecognizable. I was eager to make changes to the RS but rode the bike stock for a few months. My conclusion was that I was overall very happy (wheelies!) and so far I haven't done too many modifications. Fender eliminator, exhaust, mirrors, throttle spacers, that's it.

Whatever you do to your new bike, I am sure you will be happy. Which color did you get, if I may ask?

AQ
Jet Black.... the RS is pretty well out of stock in Australia until June... Triumph Australia has zero stock, but I found the black one on the dealer's floor in Melbourne... about 2700 miles away.. I wanted black anyway, but with the Christmas break and shipping logistics I will have to wait another 2 weeks for delivery.
I will ride the bike as stock for running in, then add the goodies later...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Unlike other throttle by wire bikes, this one doesn't restrict your revs during break-in. Those long two weeks will be worth it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yes.... but the exhaust system has to look as good as it sounds.... I have an Australian custom built system (Verex) already ordered .... Shorty mufflers with balance pipe between headers, finished in a gloss black ceramic coating.... will look trick rather than using the common stainless, chrome or aluminium finishes.... If I find I want more power in the future, then I already have the pipes I need.
If you're buying exhaust systems based sorely on looks you're apt to be disappointed.

IMO it is better to BE good than look good. If you do your homework you might achieve both.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Unlike other throttle by wire bikes, this one doesn't restrict your revs during break-in. Those long two weeks will be worth it.
Yeah but for what it’s worth, most of the Triumph range restricts the throttle all the time. This is why ECU tuning has been such a boon as soon as direct ECU tuning started to emerge.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah but for what it’s worth, most of the Triumph range restricts the throttle all the time. This is why ECU tuning has been such a boon as soon as direct ECU tuning started to emerge.

I had suspicions but thank you for confirming. A DNK tune is on my list as soon as I make final decisions on the intake and I have my OBD/Android situation set up. I don't mind the throttle response right now, but the popping and gurgling is a bit much.

Is there a noticeable hit on fuel economy? Getting 200 miles to the tank feels pretty amazing right now.

AQ

·
Registered
39 Posts
Seeing as you're in Aus, I would suggest the Meerkat decat as it is a very clean design eliminating all extraneous attachment points.

·
Registered
1977 Bonneville T140V, 2020 Speed Twin
11 Posts
I'm also in Aus. Have looked at the Meerkat as it's the obvious local choice. I worry slightly about the fact there are no mounting points to the frame. It just sits between the headers and tailpipes. Do you have one fitted? Any problems?

If Brad Perry has ordered a full Verex system he won't need an x-pipe at all.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
If you’re opening up both the intake and exhaust, especially getting rid of the cat, which is the biggest restriction. the stock fueling will probably be too lean. Since you don’t have access to a dyno, you won’t know how lean. I would be very hesitant about such extensive mods without access to in person custom tuning on your bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm also in Aus. Have looked at the Meerkat as it's the obvious local choice. I worry slightly about the fact there are no mounting points to the frame. It just sits between the headers and tailpipes. Do you have one fitted? Any problems?

If Brad Perry has ordered a full Verex system he won't need an x-pipe at all.
Yes, I've had it fitted for a year, it's rock solid. I also wondered about the mounting points but not any more, I'm just down the road from them so I had them fit it, glad I did. Looks fabulous sounds great, stock pipes have an excellent throaty roar.

Tire Leg Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Plant Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1977 Bonneville T140V, 2020 Speed Twin
11 Posts
Thanks for that. Always good to have some first hand feedback. Did you just let the ECU re-calibrate itself or did you do a re-map, i.e. DNK or Power Commander or something?

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Jsobell posted dyno tests of a Thruxton 1200 with Meerkat crossover and then with Meerkat plus slip ons. No need for retuning in either case.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Just power band limiters, slow throttle mapping and decel popping for days and active SAI without a tune.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts