Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backed the Speedie onto some old trim which unfortunately had a nail. After reading some threads posted hear it looks like the tally is about 50/50 on plugging a rear tire. What about patching from the inside?

On a related note what should be the minimum tread depth to trigger replacement of the rear tire, penny rule?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Personally, I believe in replacing. There is too much resting on the tires and if something went wrong, the cost of a new tire would pale in the comparison of what could go wrong.

When to replace tires just based on tread depth is dictated by the tread bars. However, tread depth is not as important as heat cycles are when it comes to stickiness.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As long as a tire has life left in it, I will 100% plug it. If its in the tire sidewall or its a really bad puncture, i wont plug it. Ive ridden thousands of km's with plugs in my tyres, its not like the tire is going to explode because its god a plug in it, the worst that can happen is it starts to go flat again.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Want to never get a nail again?

Just pay the $20 the dealer wants for road hazzard. I did after 2 tires got nails.

Now I'll never get a nail again.

LOL

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
I was a m/cycle courier in London for 10 years. Back then, the quick plug kits weren`t widely available. I used to use a self tapping screw and superglue. Because we were always lane splitting we were usually riding on all the debris in the middle of the road so punctures were commonplace. By the time my rear tyre went bald, it would usually have half a dozen screws glued into it, with the heads worn off!

If the hole was too big to fix with a screw, I usually RODE the bike to a bike shop. I have ridden 50 miles with a hole in the rear tyre big enough to poke your finger through. At the RIGHT speed, the centrifugal force will expand the tyre enough to allow you to ride the bike. When you are riding slowly the bike is all over the shop but the key speed is about 50 mph (give or take, depending on the model). The bike rides PERFECTLY at this speed. Any slower and the bike is trying to throw you off, any faster and you risk the tyre disintegrating.

This isn`t 1979, if you are running tubeless tyres you are pretty safe to plug them yourself. If you plug a tyre and the plug fails, the worst thing that will probaly happen is your tyre will deflate. you probably won`t notice the deflation untill you slow down, anyway.

Bike shops will tell you that these plugs are only emergency repairs. Bike shops (coincidentally) also sell permanent repairs and new tyres. Go figure.

:rolleyes:

As has been said earlier though, SPLITS and SIDEWALL holes, should not be repaired.

·
Registered
409 Posts
welsh rob appreciation society

I don't for one care for plugs but think welsh rob is as hard as, emm screws!

Wow, back it those days, men where men, women where real women and bikes, well bikes had screwed tryes!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I replace. My riding buddy, who made his living as a MC service tech and then service manager for more than 10 years takes any tire I puncture and patches it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
+1 on riding on a flat I've done this a couple of times both times about 50 miles from home with no plugs, the tire will get plenty hot though. Tried fix a flat once and it sprayed that crap all over the rear of my bike.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts