Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in my desire to make my Bonnie my own I want to do something to the rims, headers and cans.

I have been looking into black chrome but no one around here does it. I live in a city of over a million people in the heart of the Alberta Oil country and no plater in the city does black chrome. So I have to scratch that off my list.

When it comes to the rims I want to be able to go black without disassembling them becuase not only does no one black chrome but no one will lace and true a wheel.

So should I powder coat or should I paint? I am leaning towards painting because repairing is so much easier. Any thoughts?

I wish I could find someone to black chrome because how amazing would that look on the exhaust....... so cool.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
You should be able to find a plater that does "Performance coatings", and they should be able to ceramic coat (in black) your headers and silencers. I have read that the newer powder coat process will withstand the heat and powder coating is now an option for the headers and silencers. A lot of colors are available with powder coating.

Your rims would have to be stripped for any process, IMHO--except spray painting them yourself, which I would not recommend.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Powder coating is 100% more durable vs. paint. Lookup any nearby powder coat company and they'll be able to do it all for you. Powder coat can be chemical and heat resistant depending on the material you select.

My VW bus engine tin is currently being powder coated by IKON http://www.ikonpowdercoating.com/

These guys do great work I’ve used them for years.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Spacecoast in FLA does chroming..

I wouldnt powdercoat the head pipes...hi temp powder or not..it wont hold up like ceramic coating will...

The can's however don't get hot enough for powder to crack..so it will work on them..( hi temp powder )

never..ever paint your rims..

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,
The thing is this, its not chroming. There about 25 different companies that can chrome stuff here its BLACK CHROME that I am looking into which looks like chrome but the color of gunmetal.

The powder coaters I talked to said they wouldnt take the rim apart and would be able to do it assembled but my fear is a spoke ever breaks you would have to have the whole thing recoated.

Paint would work if done right which also includes an etching primer. So I will probably paint them even though I may have to do it every couple of years.

Every powder coater I called wouldnt powder coat the headers and cans saying that the powdercoat would just melt off. I dont want ceramic headers and cans because it is a matt color.

Black Chrome:

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.conceptonewheelsusa.com/UNIQUE%20black%20chrome%20%20P1.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.conceptonewheelsusa.com/pr02.htm&usg=__D7q-CkL5AI97yYRAs1Jrhogrslo=&h=323&w=335&sz=67&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbnid=ZsBUHFzQSlElXM:&tbnh=115&tbnw=119&prev=/images?q=black+chrome&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you are going to go after me because of paint and powder coating? Hmmm.... Trying to live up to your name or am I missreading your last post?

·
Registered
63 Posts
...your kidding me right. :rolleyes:

Any powdercoater that will tell you he can do your rim's without tearing them down...probably has a bridge to sell you also. Think about it man..how you gonna prep that rim properly without tearin it down..

Hi temp powder will not melt off the pipes...it will however crack near the head..( been there..done that )...again..any powdercoater that tell's you hi temp powder will melt off the cans...is full of himself and doesnt know what he is talking about...( again..been there..done that )

did you actually seek out spacecoast chroming and contact them about black chrome...( we all noticed that you said black chrome )..

google is your friend...

if your going to come here asking questions..looking for answers....but already have the answers set in your mind..whats the point of asking the question?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
It get's really tireing when just about every thread on this site ends in some pissing match. I'm sure I'll be told to take a hike or stuff it. It used to be nice when the threads here were "informative", "fun" and full of "respectfull commradery".

OK Fire Away.:cannon:

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Derby boy, I completely agree with you..... it is getting real tiring.

HBA - That is fine that they need to be tore down and that is part of my dilemma. Its not like there is a spoke lacer on every street corner. Maybe you need to look at where I am in the world (Northern Canada) and am no where near Florida so sending a set of rims to Florida which, btw is 6000kms from me, might not be the most efficient way to get something black chromed.

None of the 10 powder coater's I called said anything about a high temp powder coating and that is not the affect I am trying to achieve on the exhaust anyways.

I understand that you are trying to help with the suggestion of them but getting bloody twisted about my reply and telling me "google is my friend" is not productive and doesn't help.

As far as the other comments that have been posted they have just confirmed what I already knew and that a) black chrome isn't going to happen unless I have a small fortune sitting in the bank and b) proper painting/coating is going to take a complete tear down.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It get's really tireing when just about every thread on this site ends in some pissing match. I'm sure I'll be told to take a hike or stuff it. It used to be nice when the threads here were "informative", "fun" and full of "respectfull commradery".

OK Fire Away.:cannon:
Boorish behavior is in reach of all. Good manners are more elusive.

dfeaster

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a follow up....

I emailed a couple of companies in California to get quotes on getting just he spokes in black while leaving the rim and hubs in chrome. Waiting for a reply. I found a ton of beautiful rims and emailed Buchanan Spokes to see what they come up with. If nothing I will see if I can find someone local to lace the rims and tear them down, powder coat them and do it right.

Really its just the lacing that makes me nervous but someone around here has to be able to do it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's much easier than you think...

as long as you either use the same spokes and rims or get the right ones from Buchanan or wherever. Just take a ton of pics of the wheels prior to tearing them down and relace them the exact same way. Then all you have to do is find a local shop to tighten, true, and balance. I've done it a few times after have rims and other parts powder coated...easy as pie.

·
Registered
5 Posts
as long as you either use the same spokes and rims or get the right ones from Buchanan or wherever. Just take a ton of pics of the wheels prior to tearing them down and relace them the exact same way. Then all you have to do is find a local shop to tighten, true, and balance. I've done it a few times after have rims and other parts powder coated...easy as pie.
It really is easier than you think. I broke my wheels down, had the rims/hubs powdercoated, and then took it all to a wheel shop to be laced, trued, balanced and tires mounted. While at the shop, I had the spokes machine polished. Took some time because they lagged a bit, but the result was awesome. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys I appreciate the comments and the help. Unfortunatley Buchanan hasnt got back to me yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts