Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tank I'm getting ready for paint. The inside is very clean. Am I better off to leave it alone, or to line as a precaution? If the rec. is not to line, what if anything should be done to it before painting?? THANKS.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Totally agree with GPZ about preparation, which is always the key to success, never used Caswells, always used POR15, but I really don't think it matters what you use as long as the prep is done properly, I can't over emphasise this, people say this is rubbish that is rubbish, but when delving you find out they missed out 1/2 the prep.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
I've heard bad stories about POR15's liner, but I tend to agree with TBS that it was probably pilot error when they prepped the tank. Caswell however states that their liner is specifically impervious to the stuff they put in gas today, like ethanol.

As to whether you should line or not, I prefer not to unless I need to. I just had two tanks painted. I cleaned the inside using sheet rock screws followed up by solvents and finally Phos acid. Tanks looked like new inside. Then I pressure tested them for leaks. I'm a firm believer in pressure testing any tank before you paint it. Do a search in this forum and you'll find a write-up I did on how to pressure test your tank. If you have a bicycle pump and the ability to drill and tap or a 1/2-13 hole, you can make the rig and test your tank for leak.
I believe that the phos acid cleaning will eat any rust away from a potential pinhole leak and make it a true leak. I'd rather find it and fix it before I paint it then depend on a liner. In my humble opinion, liners are for tanks of questionalbe integrity. Tanks with lots of rust inside, questionable seams, or prone to cracking and leaking. I just looked at a really nice Norton for a decent price that had Kreme in the tank. And the guy did it about 2 years ago. The liner seems to still be intact, but word (again just words) on the street is Kreme does not hold up to gas with Ethanol in it.
regards,
Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts