Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I’m Steve, a new owner just 2 weeks into having my 2016 Thruxton r and loving it !
Read through lots of posts here and all really useful.
Wonder if somebody could start my custom parts journey and let me know if there’s a list of bolts for the bike and what they are (hex,torx,size) ... I’m pretty new to this :)
The particular one I’m after first is the bolt holding the gear lever onto the frame as I have a new lever coming.

have a good one !
cheers

·
Registered
730 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another Brit with a 2016 Thruxton r, a brilliant choice(y)
The gear lever bolt is a 6mm Allen head, a medium-sized socket set which includes bits for Allen heads and torx will cover most things on the bike, there's some larger Torx sizes used on the frame/engine mounts but you'll only need these if you're removing the cat and have to detach a frame rail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect thanks, mods on your Thruxton look like what I’m going for eventually 😀 the US exhausts defo, I have the EU ones decent for now.

do I release the bolt first then take it off the link after ?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Probably easier taking the bolt out first, and then pop the ball joint off after removing the wire clip.
My gear lever had excessive play on the bolt so I fitted some shim washers to tighten things up when I did the quick shifter mod, gear shift feels more positive now.
If you just want a bit more noise then a much cheaper option would be removing the cat if you haven't already, I believe this will make more of a difference than just going from EU to US Vance and Hines which could be expensive.
Whereabouts in the UK are you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m based in sunny Lichfield what about yourself ?
The decat sounds like a plan in that case as you say few hundred cheaper and noise is all I’m after 👍

·
Registered
730 Posts
Just a bit further up in less than sunny Wigan, although it was nice enough to get the bike out today just a little chilly 🌨
I got my Thruxton from the potteries motorcycles in Stoke-on-Trent so not a million miles from you, just down the road from Staffordshire triumph.
I'm not speaking from personal experience as mine already had the decat and US cans when I bought it, but from what I've been told from other people and read on here the decat makes a bigger difference to the noise than a change of silencer, even from standard to Vance and Hines.
I think a few people on here have managed to drill out the baffles on the EU cans but it's not an easy job.
If you want any more information about the mods I have on my bike give me a shout:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts