Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your thoughts are important to me.

I'm suppose to be leaving tonight/tomorrow morning for Myrtle Beach South Carolina (from PA to Myrtle Beach via Roanoke VA (about 590miles)), but Myrtle Beach is calling for HEAVY rains @ 52F all day Wednesday and into Wednesday night. I have full winter gear, minus heated gloves/grips.

Whould you ride it?

On the upside, it suppose to be clear and 67F for the trip home.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You're killing me.... 52 degrees is winter?.... I'm leaving the house this morning.. it's 26 degrees out...
Anyway.. RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE. If you have a problem riding in the rain then don't go. But you won't get any better at it if you don't practice. Heavy rains aren't much fun, but I've had some of my best rides in the rain.

Good luck with your decision....
Ride safe!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eddiemack,

My kinda guy!

Anything above 27F I stay relatively warm (fingers begin to get cold), so the cold ain't stopping me (at least the dry cold). Rain...That don't bother me much either. One thing I am not, is a fair weather rider. My concern is that I haven't ridden in HEAVY rains for extended periods of time. The last time I drove from Myrtle Beach I traveld 25MPH for nearly 2 hours because the rain was so hard; Must have followed the squall line heading north). I noticed a number of cars pulled over waiting it out. I suppose I could do the same if it gets that bad. I guess I just need to shut-up, stop whining and get on the bike and ride.

The rain does seem to be localized along the coastline of Myrtle Beach.

Now, should I leave tonight (and stay the night in Roanoke, or early tomorrow morning for a long day trip? :-D

[ This message was edited by: Sport on 2006-11-21 06:16 ]

·
Registered
711 Posts
Gremlins, Mother Nature and Thanksgiving traffic. I ride unless snow/ice or otherwise extreme weather. This summer I rode in many storms, but a couple of thunder storms had so much lightning, STRONG winds and almost zero visibility (you get picture) I sought shelter until the worst had passed.

This is MHO, but they are calling for 2-4 inches of rain and sustained winds of 20-30 mph with gusts of ?? Friday-Sunday look to be very nice. I would wait until the last minute to see how this storm tracks, but God gave you a brain, use it to assess as you have nothing to prove either way.

Ride safe, often and for many years!
Happy Holiday.
BobW

·
Registered
924 Posts
If you can stay off the interstates it may not be that bad, BUT holiday traffic on all the east coast interstates will be brutal even if it were sunny, let alone in a down pour. There are lots of roads in VA and NC where you can make time on two lanes.

Just a comment though, you can call me a wimp or whatever. If I ain't havin' fun I ain't ridin'! Riding in a rain storm where you are judging your position on the road by looking at the guard rail because you can't see anything in front of you or trucks passing you in wall of water, just isn't my idea of fun.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rodneybrown,

Although I agree with you in theory, the reality is sometimes we just get ourselves into a pickel. In essence, this is the adventure. The question remains, how much of a pickel are you willing to bite?

The weather from York PA to Roanoke VA looks great, but from Roanoke to Myrtle Beach it goes south...no pun intended.

I have learned that my naivety places me into questionable circumstances; however, that experience helps me make better decisions next time...I guess you might say that I'm a continuing student of the School of Hard Knocks :wink:

Either way, the adventure of it all is nearly unbearable.

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Here in Canada we ride in 40F weather! Just watch for ice inthe shaded patches of the road, and gravel at intersections!
If you fishtail on ice it's 'cos you've got too much throttle or you're using the rear brakes. Back off on each of these and the fishtail will straighten up! You'll also leave a long steaming broiwn streak on the road which will melt the ice!

Seriously though, I've been fortunate to ride every month sinoce I got my bike :-D

Go for it sport - unless the little voice says don't. Always obey the little voice. There's a certain machismo to riding, but a confident rider is an unstressed rider, and a stressed rider makes mistakes.

[ This message was edited by: haggis95 on 2006-11-21 09:28 ]

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Carolina Tribune paints a fairly bleak picture.

I'll continue monitoring the weather

The wife may insist I remain here for thanksgiving. :???:

Thanks haggis95

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sport, please check your PMs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts