Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so before you tell me to do a search on the topic, rest assured I have. Problem is, there is so much conflicting information not only here, but throughout the web, that my head is spinning!

First things first- I've got a monumental case of Spring fever and thought I'd wash the Bonnie this weekend. Hopefully it doesn't snow :frown2: While I'm at it, I thought I'd do the chain as well. The owners manual for my 2015 T100 says to lube the chain every 200 miles. Sadly, I am long overdue.

So I thought I'd clean the chain first. I've been told to use Simple Green (from the head service tech at my local Triumph dealership). He swears by it and says it won't hurt the o-rings. I've heard Kerosene (a popular choice on the web), WD-40 (which appears to be the proverbial "third rail" of chain maintenance), or one of the popular cleaners by companies such as Muc-off. I've also heard from those who claim they never clean their chain as a matter of principle. Ever.

Then, once I do clean the chain, do I use a compressor to blow off the water before lubing? Or do I spray on a water displacer? Or do I take it for a spin to warm and dry the chain before lubing?

And then, once I do have the chain dry, what do I use to lube it? I bought a can of Amzoil chain lube, but I'm hearing of products that use Teflon that are superior. Or are they?

I thought I'd run this by my Triumph RAT brothers before doing anything, although to be honest I don't hold out much hope in reaching a consensus.

Have at it.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I lube my chain with chain wax at 500 miles intervals and try to clean and lube at 1000 mile intervals. So every 500 miles (or so, really), I'm either just lubing or cleaning and lubing. I don't use water to hose off the chain after I spray it with whatever o-ring safe "solvent-of-the-month" I'm using. I work the chain over with a grunge brush and then I wipe the chain off with a shop rag or two. When the chain is dry enough for me, I spray the chain wax on and let it set up for about thirty minutes before riding.:dunno

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I lube my chain with chain wax at 500 miles intervals and try to clean and lube at 1000 mile intervals. So every 500 miles (or so, really), I'm either just lubing or cleaning and lubing. I don't use water to hose off the chain after I spray it with whatever o-ring safe "solvent-of-the-month" I'm using. I work the chain over with a grunge brush and then I wipe the chain off with a shop rag or two. When the chain is dry enough for me, I spray the chain wax on and let it set up for about thirty minutes before riding.:dunno
Pudge- what brand of chain wax do you use? I have a can of Boeshield T-9 that I use to winterize my boat engine. Is it the same as that stuff?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I used a Honda chain degreaser per area before I rotated the wheel, used a 3-sided scrub brush, then another application of degreaser, then wiped off with a rag.. You'll see the black muck dribble off. I used a piece of cardboard on the ground and against the wheel to prevent a mess. After this, I applied Chain Wax along the chain. Let it sit awhile then lightly wipe any excess away. Prior to this picture, it was a black chain. Quite the difference!

Attachments

·
Driftless Admin
11,417 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?q=site:triumphrat.net+lube+chain&oq=site:triumphrat.net+lube+chain

But we can't have enough of them. Chain lube, oil ... kill switches! All great threads. Nothing new to say, but fun.

The need to lubricate a chain at all, let alone how often or with what, depends a lot the on weather and road conditions you ride in and on, IMO and IME.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I’ve just been using this stuff. Saw it at Walgreens while shopping for my Toothbrushes for lefties... Says “Great For Water Play”, and “Premium Silicone”. So I figured, what the heck. Ya know? Cheers.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Another vote for Dupont Chain saver if you want Teflon. I like it because it dose a good job resisting ware and doesn't leave an oily mess. Because there is no oily mess to attract and hold grit and grime it requires less cleaning. Just wet a cloth with what ever solvent you like and wipe the chain and use a clean dry cloth to clean off the solvent and spray on the Chain Saver. Let sit a while before riding.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Only the anal lube their chains every 200 miles....This is my formula for happy long chain life. Clean the chain with commercial chain lube available in any hardware store...rotate the wheel until all the excess drains off. Spray the chain liberal with White Lithium Grease...Rotate the wheel until the excess drains off...Clean up the mess and let the WL dry on the chain. Enjoy your bike for as long as you can see WL on the chain. This will usual stay on about a month...one or two rainstorms...Theres a reason NEW chains come lathered in WL...

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
Another vote for Dupont Chain saver if you want Teflon. I like it because it dose a good job resisting ware and doesn't leave an oily mess. Because there is no oily mess to attract and hold grit and grime it requires less cleaning. Just wet a cloth with what ever solvent you like and wipe the chain and use a clean dry cloth to clean off the solvent and spray on the Chain Saver. Let sit a while before riding.
Dupont is what I use. I spray it on the lower part of the chain while turning the wheel (using a piece of cardboard behind the area I'm spraying), then wrap paper towels or an old rag around the chain and continue turning the wheel until the chain is wiped clean. Then I use the wetted areas of the rag against each side of the sprocket to remove old lube and dirt.

I start and finish at the master link. The solvent in the spray lube does the cleaning. Then I let it sit overnight for the rest of the solvent to evaporate. I do this every 500 miles. It takes about 10-15 minutes (honest time) for me to do this. It does not leave the chain picture-perfect and showroom-clean, but it leaves it clean enough.

I will never go back to using anything waxy, sticky, or gummy again. Those lubricants really do leave a mess that has to be cleaned prior to the next application, not to mention the mess inside the sprocket cover, on the underside of the chain guard, inside the rear fender, and on the back of the license plate.

There's also no need to lube the chain while it's "warm", as long as enough time is allowed for the solvent to evaporate. Anytime that it can sit all day or overnight is fine.

·
Driftless Admin
11,417 Posts
Only the anal ...
Please, not so soon after the Astroglide pic. :D

Every 200 miles is plain silly. Stupid silly. On a decent group ride, the guy that pulls over after 200 miles in to lube his chain deserves what he gets. Being left behind the very least of it. But he probably wasn't invited in the first place, as his friends are tired of his kill switch and oil lectures.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hey Duckman,
I didn't know white lithium grease came in a sprayable can. What brand should I ask for? Or is it readily available in auto parts stores? I like your approach!
I've become a fan of auto chain oilers. Less time and hassle on a longer ride and reduced wear on chain/sprockets. I haven't put one on my newest acquisition - yet.
May try your approach first. Thanks!
Steve

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
Only the anal lube their chains every 200 miles....This is my formula for happy long chain life. Clean the chain with commercial chain lube available in any hardware store...rotate the wheel until all the excess drains off. Spray the chain liberal with White Lithium Grease...Rotate the wheel until the excess drains off...Clean up the mess and let the WL dry on the chain. Enjoy your bike for as long as you can see WL on the chain. This will usual stay on about a month...one or two rainstorms...Theres a reason NEW chains come lathered in WL...
New chains come covered with a film of some type of grease to keep surface rust off the chain. Same reason why machinery is greased up when new. Grease of any type will attract particles of grit and sand and similar. I used to store my bike in Boston outside all winter under a cover. I covered the chain in a thin film of marine wheel bearing grease to keep the chain free of surface rust. In the spring, I cleaned off the grease and then lubed with a chain wax. Factories don't want chains showing rust when new at a dealership, hence coating the chain. Use whatever you want, but grease for me on a motorcycle chain is not what I'd use. Same goes for bicycle chains. :smile2:

Chains from the factory used to be coated with Cosmoline grease, but maybe now they use a lithium white grease.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I prefer PB Blaster but have used Liquid Wrench branded chain lube and spray white lithium. Every auto parts store...hardware store and wally world carries it.

Numerous Dealers use WL...its cheap and it works...

A new chain could be preserved with any lubricant to prevent rust. WL lubricates, preserves and protects the 0-rings in the chain that silicones or WD40s would dry out.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I know this topic is chain lubing and cleaning, but I think a lot of people overlook, especially with the X-ring and O-ring chains, that wear is probably more affected by proper chain tension rather than cleanliness. Just ground through a chain and sprockets over the course of just a year and around 9000 miles...and I knew that my chain needed to be adjusted probably about halfway through...but didn't do it because I didn't have a centerstand.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
As has been discussed in past threads, I use 75-80w gear lube. First it cleans all the crap off the sprockets and the chain. Second it lubes the chain.

Takes about 15 mins from start to finish. But I do let it set up overnite usually.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I know this topic is chain lubing and cleaning, but I think a lot of people overlook, especially with the X-ring and O-ring chains, that wear is probably more affected by proper chain tension rather than cleanliness. Just ground through a chain and sprockets over the course of just a year and around 9000 miles...and I knew that my chain needed to be adjusted probably about halfway through...but didn't do it because I didn't have a centerstand.
Very true..the are best left on the loose side of right...its also easier on driveline bearings...I only adjust when I do tires....

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’ve just been using this stuff. Saw it at Walgreens while shopping for my Toothbrushes for lefties... Says “Great For Water Play”, and “Premium Silicone”. So I figured, what the heck. Ya know? Cheers.
Haha! I DO love my Bonnie...

Then again...

:nah

·
Premium Member
827 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
You have to lube the chain. Cleaning is optional.

I have a loobman on mine. I give it a squirt of the oil mix I use (gear oil and auto tranny fluid) whenever it starts to look dry. The current chain has nearly 18K miles on it and has life left in it. the chain looks fairly clean but the oil does fling, however cleanup is easy as it isn't grease.
It has a dual oil dispenser that when setup proper does a good job of lubing both sides of the rear sprocket and then onto the rollers. It misses the X-rings though.

An improvement to the device would be to use a hand soap dispenser top. It allows air to enter/exit and provides a measured dose of oil down the tube. - Just looked at the website and it appears the design has changed.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts