Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
that is the question. :)
Lots of airbox posts lately which are generally as contentious as oil threads. ;) After reading all the testimonials of those on this great forum that have added pods to their bikes, consensus seems to be little downside and much upside so I therefore am considering it.
I have also read, that some that have sprung for the NARK or similar box replacement from one of the Bonneville suppliers, if to do it again, would have carved their factory box and then added pod filters and saved 200 bux or so. So those that have torn up their bike and replaced the box...to do it again, would you have simply carved your box to accomodate pods? A better question I guess is...is there any added benefit of a replacement box versus carving the factory airbox aside from perhaps ease or plug and play? as I am quite used to dremeling things. :) I really don't want to embark upon Prop's clever solution as I don't want to get that artsy...so my options are either carve or purchase one of the replacement ARK boxes + pods.
Thanks,
George

·
30,603 Posts
Carve. It's cheaper. Later on if you go nuts and hot rod it you can always pull it then.

If I did it again, I would do it the way I have done it already - I am very happy with the solution I have, but carving saves mucho money.

All down to individual preference.

Check out the work done by Keef, in which he carves the airbox, adds pods and turns the old air filter space into a storage area. Good work.

If you pick up a used airbox cheap (must be some around) you have the benfit of doing all the craving to your hearts content while your bike is still on the road. If I were going to carve an airbox I'd do it that way.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Prop...all makes sense. Seems as though many buy the pod box replacement for expediency only to find when going in there that carving it wouldn't have been that big a deal. Intact airboxs have to be around as you say. I would likely take this on as a winter project with a generous time horizon. I also heard that an old T120 battery box is a drop in replacement but not sure about that.
Thanks again,
George

·
30,603 Posts
Thinking about it more, if I did it again I would actually fab up a whole new battery box from sheet aluminum myself, because I could more easily integrate all my additional bits and pieces.

The other reason I went with pods and not a gutted airbox, was that my airbox rubbers were shot. Not an issue if you cut off the front part of the box of course.

Keefs thread, just as a reference for everyone. This one and a bunch of others are linked in the "great source of info sticky"

Actually, find them all here:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tec...ning-modifications-and-so-on.html#post1132928

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
To Carve or not to Carve

Bought an aftermarket kit. I think it would have been better to use the origingal with modifications to clear the new pod filters. The problem I ran into on the 09 kit was the battery box is designed to hold the battery and ucu. The new box isn't wide enough by about 1/4 inch to hold both. Had to lay the ecu on top in wraps. The two screws in front of the battery box needed a 1/4 to 3/8 spacer to bolt up. This would have been perfect had the box been that much wider. I'll probably cut up my airbox and reinstall it, using just the batt box and the back mud guard. Wish I could post pics, I would show you what I amd talking about.
later.... Frank

·
Registered
630 Posts
I decided that I would cut the airbox rather than pay for an ARK, considering the poor exchange rate of the Aussie dollar and freight costs, but I wanted the mod to be reversable so I just purchased a cheap used airbox from somebody that had already fitted an ARK.:D

I'll cut the used box and keep my original in case I ever have to return the bike to stock. The only "extras" you have to buy are pods, a breather filter and carb brace, although a carb brace is easily made if you want also.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys...
Frank...email me some pics if you have them of your airbox mod for your EFI bike when adding the pods. I will host them for you...as with your other engine mods.
Speaking of Aussies' comments about carb supports...Frank did you kluge up any throttle body supports or were they left intact?
Thanks,
George

·
30,603 Posts
Yes indeed, a simple turnbuckle can be used as a very good carb support - given the way they made the throttle bodies to look like carbs, the same kind of thing should work there too.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
I used the brit customs kit.If money is a factor you can cut your box .I like the looks of the metal box better and i still have the air box if i ever need it .

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Carve. It's cheaper. Later on if you go nuts and hot rod it you can always pull it then.

If I did it again, I would do it the way I have done it already - I am very happy with the solution I have, but carving saves mucho money.

All down to individual preference.

Check out the work done by Keef, in which he carves the airbox, adds pods and turns the old air filter space into a storage area. Good work.

If you pick up a used airbox cheap (must be some around) you have the benfit of doing all the craving to your hearts content while your bike is still on the road. If I were going to carve an airbox I'd do it that way.

Prop I have to respectfully dissagree. You are putting just as much effort into cutting up an airbox and doing all those mods then what it is worth imo.

I used the Bella Corse ARK and in my opinion they are a touch overpriced but the fit and finish looks factory and that is the key in making something look like it came that way.

:icon_drink: Cheers.

·
30,603 Posts
Fair enough. I used the British Customs ARK. Nice bit of kit. I then added a load of sheet metal bracketry, thus I cunningly got the cost of a purchased kit and essentially the work of a home made one.....:eek:

No really though, I like making custom bits and pieces like that, so i had a lot of fun with it.

Basically it's a preference thing, if funds are a bit tight, a carve is a good way of doing it, and with the side covers on you can't tell anyway.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Prop I have to respectfully dissagree. You are putting just as much effort into cutting up an airbox and doing all those mods then what it is worth imo.

I used the Bella Corse ARK and in my opinion they are a touch overpriced but the fit and finish looks factory and that is the key in making something look like it came that way.

:icon_drink: Cheers.
Well an airbox removal kit is US$300, if you're lucky you can buy a used airbox for US$40 and a set of good clean oval K&N's for US$25 like I did:-

http://www.triumphrat.net/parts-hinckley-twins/104651-rmak-s-autojumble.html

So far I'm US$235 ahead and all I need is a breather filter, a carb brace and some jets. I think it's worth the effort. ;)

As far as factory finish goes it's all hidden behind the side covers anyway regardless of whether it's an ARK or a carved airbox.

Each to his own I guess. :D

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
when you start playing with getting hp out of these bikes after awhile you will be thinking oh only $300. thats cheap lol.It dont mater how you get there with the air box its all the same in the end.You got to do what you are happy with.These bike are worst then a hot bad women they will take all your money and leave you broke with a smile on your face lol.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
A Truism

when you start playing with getting hp out of these bikes after awhile you will be thinking oh only $300. thats cheap lol.It dont mater how you get there with the air box its all the same in the end.You got to do what you are happy with.These bike are worst then a hot bad women they will take all your money and leave you broke with a smile on your face lol.
Boy, isn't that the truth.The first 3G's were for looks and do nothings. The 2nd 3g's was for the HP. Will it ever end?:Darn

Later..Frank

·
Registered
964 Posts
+1, I used the same brand; the welding and workmanship is of better quality than the other brands I've seen. Mike at Bella Corse also adds some extras to his kits; Allen head carb. screws, Allen head mounting fasteners, six quality hose clamps, and some carb. jets sized somewhere in the ballpark.

The original plastic airbox looks sorta cheesy, and it weighs a ton! The aluminum replacements look more sanitary. ............James.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts