Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Boy, you guys beat that one to death. Hasn't anyone on here ever worked with an electronic ignition before.
Runs for a time and shuts down . (Heat) Kicks back after shutting down. Classic electronic ignition symptoms!!!!

Put a couple of sets of points in the thing and be done with it.

I never met a man that walked home because his points close-up.
Can you say that about your Boyer system?

·
Registered
246 Posts
With wanting to get away from points and LUCAS - plus the fact that I did a lot of engine work, wanted to add an elec ignition, went with a Pazon sure fire, well the first box I put on was dead, they sent me a second box - it worked fine, tuned and timed the bike, it ran great, checked the timing two weeks later - no problem, was right on the money.
checked the timing again about two months later, it never moved.
I checked the timing one year after installation and STILL had not moved.
I havent touched since, and it never failed me not once.

JMHO
Bill G.

BTW I put the box where the rolled up tool pouch was.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Headr nothing but good about the Pazon set-up, and that's what I'm going with on my unit 500. Works at lower voltages than the Boyer, and has a 7.5yr warranty. If you're getting away from points, and not going mag, it seems to be the most logical choice...

·
Registered
914 Posts
<do I replace the Boyer (it should be still under warranty, installed by my engine rebuilder Ed Zender in 2010) of go Pazon or Sparx (or Wassell...)>
If still under warranty change the Boyer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
...Right! I'll drop some points back in (shame I sold the originals on ebay to help fund work on the moto... AND try and get the Boyer replaced under warranty... but in the meantime try the world of mechanical advancement! I'll give y'all an update.

I'm sick of pushing or cajoling truck owning pals for a lift!

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Try doing a voltage test at the coils.Take the white wire feeding the boyer box from the harness,and connect it the -VE terminal of the first coil (where the boyer box black wire is normally connected).
When you turn on the ignition,take a voltage reading from the -VE coil terminal with the white wire to the +VE terminal of the other coil (where the red wire is attached).

The voltage should be almost the same as battery voltage.If it's down more than 1 volt,look for a bad connection.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts