Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to find out from all of you who have completed a 12000 mile service a few things...
1.Did your valves need adjusting and by how much?
2.How many valves needed adjusting? in other words "how many actually of you had clearances that required attention at 12K service and of those who did, how many of the twelve were actually out of spec and by how much - it would be interesting to see the results".
3.What type of riding do you mostly do ., hard , medium or just putter around or commuting?
4.What did your dealership charge you for the service?
Appreciate your input!!

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
toesnose, I'll answer #4 first, around $600-700USD. Sounds high, it is, but on par with other multi cylinder brands.

For #3 a track bike will need the clearances checked more often than a street bike's service intervals.

#1 &#2 has to be considered at two levels. If out of spec at inspection a new shim will be required. If on the tight side of acceptable will it likely stay in spec for another 12K miles, or not? Judgement call.

My '98 had, IIRC, 3 just out of spec and about 4 that were at the tight side of acceptable.

Brad

·
Super Moderator
3,016 Posts
I did my valves and approx 8 were out of spec. I was able to swap around a few shims and needed to buy 5 new ones. I pulled my cams so it made swapping shims around pretty easy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts