Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum,

I've just recently brought home two old Bonnevilles that belonged to my Dad, who passed away about a year ago. Both are in pretty good shape, but haven't been ridden for quite a few years, so naturally need some attention. I'm going to get both up and on the road. But, I've never worked on any motorcycles before, so I've got a lot to learn and find myself having to ask a lot of very basic questions. So... Apologies in advance if I ask some questions that you've likely answered before.

Anyway... Right now, I'm trying to get some new tires lined up for the T140V. The stock tires on the bike now, are a 4.10-19 front and a 4.10-18 rear (Dunlop "red arrows").

Are a 100/90-19 front and a 110/90-18 rear the correct equivalent sizes for replacement? These would be Bridgestone, either S11 Spitfire or BT-45 (I'm still undecided).

I've used the search function a good bit, and read a lot, and think I'm on the right track here. But, frankly, still not quite clear on the equivalent relationships among all the different size designations and have found a few conflicting old posts regarding what fits and what doesn't. I'd really just like some confirmation/reassurance that if I have these ordered in, that they'll be a good size to use and fit without fender or chain guard interference.

Thanks in advance!

- Dave

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Tyres for 1977 Bonneville are listed as:

Front 4.10-19 (modern eqiv 100/90-19)

Rear 4.10-18 (modern equiv 100/90-18 or 110/90-18)

Avon Roadriders are a popular choice as they are designed for classic bikes but with modern construction and rubber)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hello Dave,

Welcome to the forum. If you do not have the shop manual
and parts books get them from on of the parts jobbers. It
will help you out a bunch.

Pookybear

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the size confirmation, and the welcome!

I'm going to go have the tires ordered today. Hopefully, I'll have the T140 on the road in a few more weeks.

- Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello Forum,

I've just recently brought home two old Bonnevilles that belonged to my Dad, who passed away about a year ago. Both are in pretty good shape, but haven't been ridden for quite a few years, so naturally need some attention. I'm going to get both up and on the road. But, I've never worked on any motorcycles before, so I've got a lot to learn and find myself having to ask a lot of very basic questions. So... Apologies in advance if I ask some questions that you've likely answered before.

Anyway... Right now, I'm trying to get some new tires lined up for the T140V. The stock tires on the bike now, are a 4.10-19 front and a 4.10-18 rear (Dunlop "red arrows").

Are a 100/90-19 front and a 110/90-18 rear the correct equivalent sizes for replacement? These would be Bridgestone, either S11 Spitfire or BT-45 (I'm still undecided).

I've used the search function a good bit, and read a lot, and think I'm on the right track here. But, frankly, still not quite clear on the equivalent relationships among all the different size designations and have found a few conflicting old posts regarding what fits and what doesn't. I'd really just like some confirmation/reassurance that if I have these ordered in, that they'll be a good size to use and fit without fender or chain guard interference.

Thanks in advance!

- Dave
Hi,
I'm restoring a Uk spec. Jubilee (T140V) for my Dad who's to ill to do it now. The tyres on my bike are 100/90/H19 (4.10 H19) Front and a 100/90/H18 (4.10 H18) Rear, Avon road runners. Both sets of these number sizes are stamped on the sidewall of my tyres so I know a 100/90 to be the same as a 4.10.

According to the (not very) helpful Haynes manual the T140V should have 3.25 x 19 Front and 4.0 x 18 Rear. Possibly the jubilee had different size wheels from other T140Vs, did I see somewhere yours is a jubilee?
The T140E, the later model I believe, has a 4.10 x 19 Front and a 4.10 x 18 Rear.!!!!!!!!!!

I would suggest the 110 rear you list would be oversize as you quote both as being 4.10 already on the bike, indicating they would both be the same size. The 100/110 refers to the tyre width, the 19 is the rim diameter. I'd go for the 100/90s as you are already running these in the form of 4.10s.

My Jubilee was standing for 12 years and to get it running I stripped the carbs and thoroughly cleaned out all the jets, noting how many turns on the mixture screws etc, then replaced the spark plugs and leads. Put on a fresh battery and 97 octane super unleaded petrol and away it went.

Hope this helps, I'm learning fast myself!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.