Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike has a Dunlop sportmax on back, and it will need to be replaced soon (there is tread, but very little depth). I was told the tire is two years old.

The few times I primarily used the back brake, I find the back tire seems VERY ineffective at stopping the bike -- (I know the front brake is where you primary stopping power is, but in the Sprint it seems even more pronounced than the UJM's and dirt bikes I have had) Also I once tried to push start the bike and the back tire just skidded. (just confirming lack of grip in the back)

Is it the Dunlop is just that bad, or is it the weight distribution on this bike? (I know my minimal tread will effect wet performance, but on dry pavement I would think it should still grip pretty good). On the other hand If it's the bike's weight distribution, then this is normal.

This is really not a problem as I primarily use the front brake to stop the bike, and the starter to start the engine, but was just curious...

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Sprints are renowned for being heavy on front tyres (so is the Tiger). The older Sportmax is only an "average" tyre and may also be a bit hard if 2yrs or older. So the combination of light rear end, hard rubber will make rear braking fairly ineffectual.

I always brake with both brakes, unless below 10kph (rear only). The only other time I use the rear is to hold her still on a hill.

I think you'd be MUCH better with a Pilot Road 2 or a Pirelli Diablo Strada if you like sport touring tyres or the Pilot Power 2 or Pirelli Diablo Rossa for a bit more stickyness (less miles). Have a look at the tyre thread for feedback on the current crop of tyres.

Russ

·
Premium Member
24,302 Posts
Rusty is correct Sprints are very hard on front tyres especially if you ride quickly in the corners and use your front brakes a lot.

Regarding the rear tyre skipping trying to bump start, that could well happen anyway if you are in too low a gear and don't bounce all your weight on the seat at the same time you dump the clutch.

Read the tyre sticky if you need help sing out or PM me.

Tyres are something I do know a little bit about. (not much else)

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
The rear brake is ineffective at stopping the bike because it's not made to stop the bike.

If you push start a bike or anything else for that matter. Do so in a higher gear. 3rd or 4th even. In first the ratio is too short and you won't make much headway.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rear brake is ineffective at stopping the bike because it's not made to stop the bike.

If you push start a bike or anything else for that matter. Do so in a higher gear. 3rd or 4th even. In first the ratio is too short and you won't make much headway.
You are right, I am an idiot;
I don't know what I was thinking....

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sprints are renowned for being heavy on front tyres (so is the Tiger). The older Sportmax is only an "average" tyre and may also be a bit hard if 2yrs or older. So the combination of light rear end, hard rubber will make rear braking fairly ineffectual.

I always brake with both brakes, unless below 10kph (rear only). The only other time I use the rear is to hold her still on a hill.

I think you'd be MUCH better with a Pilot Road 2 or a Pirelli Diablo Strada if you like sport touring tyres or the Pilot Power 2 or Pirelli Diablo Rossa for a bit more stickyness (less miles). Have a look at the tyre thread for feedback on the current crop of tyres.

Russ
Thanks for the pointer to the Pirelli Diablo Strada... That sounds like just the ticket, found one for $134 on the net.

·
Premium Member
24,302 Posts
Razzoo,
Don is not saying you are an idiot he is trying to be helpful.:)

What folks sometimes forget here is that we have members that are technically ignorant right through to the genius variety and the same goes for general riding experience.:)

Don't assume some one is being smart they may not realise how much someone else knows.:)

DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
To be fair Dave, Don's reply can be read as either tongue in cheek or smartA... :D

You and I know what he meant, with all the transfer to the front of the bike under braking the rear is not going to do more than a small portion (I think 7% was the figure Keith Code quotes) of the braking. So yes, by design it's not meant to be the PRIMARY device to stop the bike. BUT it can help wash off speed, be useful at low speed braking and help keep driveline lash to a minimum during corners and when transfering to more throttle to accelerate out of a corner.

Russ

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Geesh! :confused:

Anyone can be offended by anything.... if that is their mindset.

If Don's post was taken as smartA.. by anyone, then their feelings must get hurt on a regular basis in the real world.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Geesh! :confused:

Anyone can be offended by anything.... if that is their mindset.

If Don's post was taken as smartA.. by anyone, then their feelings must get hurt on a regular basis in the real world.
From my original post:
"The few times I primarily used the back brake"
"I know the front brake is where your primary stopping power is"
"I primarily use the front brake to stop the bike"

So you can assume that "the back brake is not intended to stop the bike" is well understood. I was not "offended" nor "feelings hurt".
However if someone is being a bit of a smartA; don't be surprised (or offended) if someone responds in kind - it's all in fun
:):):)

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I agree in saying the rear brake really isn't for full on braking. I use mine all the time but more in parking lot scenarios or the final portion of a stop at a light.

As far as tires go I like Avon and believe the Storm, despite early issues is the best tire for these bikes when riding in a sporty fashion including the odd track day. Like any tire for bikes they absolutely must get up to operating temp or they are ineffective. So if your tires feel snotty when riding put your hand on one and see how warm they are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts