Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sticky for those tire reviews. What worked & what didn't. Always a hot topic and we all use them. Safe riding to you and rubber up. :wink2:

·
Registered
28 Posts
street twin tyres

thinking of switching to avon spirits,any body any views on them as opposed to the Pirellis it comes with.also front tyre is down to the limits but rear still has plenty of tread ,how disasterous would it be to run with an avon front and pirrelli rear?i know its best to have matching pairs but its not economical at the moment.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I guess I'll start.
On my 2016 Thruxton R I just changed out the stock Diablo Rosso Corsa's to Dunlop Roadsmart 3"s.
I also did the conversion to tubeless using the Outex kit bought from A&J cycles.
I'm a devout Michelin Road tire fan but heard they might rub on the Thruxton so I looked elsewhere. I am biased in thinking nothing would be close
to the handling in dry or wet than the Michelin's but am pleasantly surprised on how the Roadsmart's ride.
I have one thousand hard twisty miles on them with some of them being in a rainstorm. No problems what so ever.
The bike feels more on rails than the stock tires ever did. Let's see how many miles they will go.
Would highly recommend them to other Thruxton owners.
Cheers

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've been using the Scorpion Train II's for about 7-8 months now. No complaints whatsoever. They stick to the ground wet or dry, and handle the limited off roading I've done with ease. Not that my offloading is a bit of gravel/dirt without any major elevation changes.

I'll likely get another set soon.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have the Spirit STs and like them very much. I have also recommended them to a couple of friends and had very positive feedback. Whilst it’s not ideal to mix brands sometimes in the ‘real world’ it’s necessary. You’ll be fine, I’m sure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've read where the rear tire is supposed to wear faster than the front tire. But on my 2017 street twin, my front tire is down to the markers at 5000 miles and I still have some decent thread on my rear wheels. Anyone know why that is happening? I was wondering if my front bearings were loose. I always check the tire pressure and keep it at the right PSI. I really don't like the stock Pirellis that came with this bike.

·
1,585 Posts
I've read where the rear tire is supposed to wear faster than the front tire. But on my 2017 street twin, my front tire is down to the markers at 5000 miles and I still have some decent thread on my rear wheels. Anyone know why that is happening? I was wondering if my front bearings were loose. I always check the tire pressure and keep it at the right PSI. I really don't like the stock Pirellis that came with this bike.
Same behavior on my ST, unsure why. Agreed this is not typical of other motorcycles.

·
Super Moderator
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is unusual but it could be that you simply use heavy front breaking. It could that you push the front hard into turns. it could just be much softer rubber compound on the front tire you have.
I would not worry about it - when it's worn out try different tires since you don't like the ones you have.

·
Registered
28 Posts
tyres

been talking to other st riders an they all seem to suffer the same problem.but nobody has come up with a plausible reason

·
Registered
27 Posts
My guess is the front wears faster since it is a bias ply tire, rear is a radial.
+1 on the Spirit ST's. I don't have enough miles on them to tell if the front is wearing faster though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
avon spirits on street twin

just fitted avon spirit to front ,only done a couple of hundred mls so far but it seems to tip into corners easier and doesn't follow the grooves in the road ,like the pirelli did

·
Registered
111 Posts
Put new Scorpion Trails 2 front and rear yesterday. Going to try and get out today to get them scrubbed in a bit. At 5000 the front was done and tracking badly. The rear still had a bit of life in it but was almost to the wear limit. My plan was to go tubeless in the rear but since the bike came with extra brand new tubes front and rear I used them instead.

Attachments

·
1,585 Posts
Put new Scorpion Trails 2 front and rear yesterday. Going to try and get out today to get them scrubbed in a bit. At 5000 the front was done and tracking badly. The rear still had a bit of life in it but was almost to the wear limit. My plan was to go tubeless in the rear but since the bike came with extra brand new tubes front and rear I used them instead.
Is the rear tire tread facing the correct direction?

·
Registered
410 Posts
An easy mistake. My tire dealer installed my rear tire backwards. Unlike Triumph, most motorcycles have their chain drive on the left hand side - hence an easy mistake.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Sticky for those tire reviews. What worked & what didn't. Always a hot topic and we all use them. Safe riding to you and rubber up. :wink2:
Hot topic and easy one for anybody with a keyboard to chime in, as this is the kind of subject that calls for opinion rather than knowlege.

Best tires for me are 20W50 semi synthetic, along with a textile armored jacket. :sleep

·
Registered
111 Posts
Good catch Delta, wish I would have caught it when I picked up the wheel at the dealer (non Triumph). Instead, being in a hurry I didn't check, and went ahead and mounted it. Should have known. Oh well, pull it all back off and then off to the dealer to make them mount it right.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just got a flat in the rear. About 5,000 on the stock Pirellis. Looking to swap now. I've always had a soft spot for the Firestone Champion Deluxe's, but our amazing rim sizes don't make that look possible. :(

So I've been looking at a completely different route:

Continental TKC 70
Metzler Tourance
Avon Trailrider

Thoughts on any of the above tires... or where I may be able to get the look of the vintage Firestones in our size?

·
Registered
59 Posts
My front tire is just about completely gone on my 2017 street twin at only 5,500 miles. Maybe I will get another 1000 on the rear tire. I plan on going with the continental road attack 3 when I change them this spring. I was not a fan of the stock pirelli tires at all.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts