Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys. Im new here but i think i will be pretty active. I have an 06 speed four. I have to put new tires on and was wondering if anyone had some good advice on what tires to put on if not replacing with the battlax's that came on it. any input would be appreciated thanks

...haha ok so as soon as i put this up i see i should search for stuff before i start typing away...anyway thanks

·
Registered
575 Posts
It all boils down to what you need out of your tyre?

I use battlax bt021 because I need something that will soak up lots of highway miles for my commute yet still let me do silly fun romps through the twisties. I honestly doubt the majority of riders need full on performance rubber for the public roads.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I honestly doubt the majority of riders need full on performance rubber for the public roads.
Nobody does. All out race tyres can even be dangerous in road riding as they don't work properly when cold. If you're not a HC trackday rider, it's better to stay away from the likes of Super Corsa, BT-002, Power Race, Racetec etc. one step down the scale gives you 95% of the warm grip, 80% of the flickability & feel and 500% the cold grip

·
Registered
936 Posts
I just put a new set of Pilot Powers on the S4 as I have them on my 1050 as well, they seem to warmup quickly and wear fairly well, I haven't had any serious slips on them and I like the oval shape as they roll into corners nicely. But really any modern sports/ Touring tyre from the major manufacturers are pretty good just choose what you want grip or mileage.

·
Super Moderator
8,491 Posts
Just about any of the current street/sport tires available are excellent. If I remember right, Michelin has a fairly pointy profile, Bridgestone is a bit less pointy, and Pirelli is fairly round. I think Dunlop is somewhere in the middle with Bridgestones. They are all excellent, but as has been pointed out, avoid racing tires or extra high performance tires. You don't need them on the street and they never warm up enough to work the way they are supposed to work. If you run them on the street with the kinds of low pressures you would use on the track, they will harden and pitch you on your head.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info guys. just for a little more description i live in Connecticut so i do some semi cold weather riding. i do alot of highway but also a fair amount of backroads and twisties. the stock batlax's i have on there now have some real serious cupping on the front. i do tend to ride the bike pretty hard and fast. and its not quite as easy to find these tire threads and stuff as i thought so replys are helpful. thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
I put Conti Road Attacks on front and rear. I wanted tires for longish trips and moderate exuberance in the twisties. So far, I'm pleased. Track day or such might require a higher performance tire, but the Contis are good all-a-rounders.

·
Registered
575 Posts
the stock batlax's
I melted through those things like hot butter in less than six months :D

Hence why I go with sport touring tyres.

have some real serious cupping on the front.
I've got the same problem (always have it with every bike I've owned) and that problem is I'm a big guy, well over the weight those front springs handle well. The fix is stiffer springs.

·
Registered
575 Posts
:D did that weekend take place on a track :D that's pretty damn impressive :D

·
Super Moderator
8,491 Posts
Pete's tires appear to be BT002s, not the OEM 'Stones. They are softer, but they might be the right tires for him.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Pete's tires appear to be BT002s, not the OEM 'Stones.
As stated in the post. Last summer nearly 75% of the mileage was done on a race track. Now, as I have 'nother race bike however, "serious" race track time will be done with it, so I'll probably go back to Pilot Power, as they give the best tire for your buck. Or euro, in my case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts