Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my '02 America out and fueled it up for the summer. I bought this bike as a garage find in 2013 knowing it would need tires soon. I've ridden it more than expected and it is time for new rubber. What are you guys putting on these for tires ? Mine is the wire wheel version. ...J.D.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Wire-Wheels, I kind of unexpectedly ended up with a pair of shinko 230 tourmasters. Kind of a long story and they would not have been my first choice. That being said, the more miles I put on them, the better I like them. They are stickier than the stock metzlers, they balanced well, track straight, and in the corners, these are a lot more willing than the metz ever were. They ride good too. They also seem to handle tar snakes and grooves pretty well. Don't know about longevity, but for what these cost, if I can get 8000 miles out of'em, I'll be happy. They are tubeless, but of course tubes can be used. If your front is a 110/80-18 the closest they come is a 110/90-18. Rears will match.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I went from the stock[crap] Metzlers to Bridgestones which I thin are very good.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm currently running a Bridgestone BT45 on the front and a Bridgestone Exedra Max on the rear. Very very happy, so much more confident with them in the wet than the Metzelers. Time will tell on milage as only done about 1000 km on them.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just thought I'd ask around a bit before I went out tire shopping. This one is not my only ride, and I don't commute on it, so I have some time, but definitely going to have to do something this season. ...J.D.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I am currently running the Michelin Commander II tires. Have just over 4000 miles on them so far. Still happy with them. Seem to have a bit more feel and provide a bit more confidence in the front end in dry and wet conditions, more than the previous tires. Hope to get many more miles out of them.
They replaced Metz ME880s front & rear. Got good mileage from them (rear lasted a long time) and wasn't disappointed with them, just looking for something a little better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I recently switched out for Avons front and rear. Definitely track better in corners and "feel" power to the road. certainly would recommend.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have noticed the original "Metz" are not very grippy. If I lay this thing over in a corner, the rear likes to get a little skippy. Time for something better. ...J.D.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also have and 02 America and replaced the original tires with Bridgestones.. I wanted to go with whitewalls but couldn't find the right tire for the odd sized front.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I bought my '05 America, a deciding factor was the wire wheels. The front wheel was fitted with a brand new pirelli sport demon (tubeless type) 110/90. When the tube got a puncture, I considered replacing the Pirelli with a 'tubed' type Bridgestone, to match the rear. The advice from the mechanic was to replace/upgrade the tube and keep the Pirelli for better performance than available tube type tyres.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts