Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for tires for a '70 T100R Daytona? I got the bike this summer, not running, and just got done the carb rebuild & then kickstarter rebuild. She runs but I've only taken her around the block a few times as the rubber looks a bit the worse for wear.

Any recommendations on vintagey looking tires? I've seen mention of Dunlop K81's being better than K70's(?).

Thanks in advance!
Mark

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
It depends on what your riding style is. For everyday normal scooting around, the K70's and K81's are fine. I personally like the K70 better. For more agressive riding, you may want a more modern tread pattern. I run Metzeler lasers on my 72 daytona.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It depends on what your riding style is. For everyday normal scooting around, the K70's and K81's are fine. I personally like the K70 better. For more agressive riding, you may want a more modern tread pattern. I run Metzeler lasers on my 72 daytona.
Thanks Werner. Just the normal scooting around town. Certainly don't plan to push a 40+ year old bike too hard. Why do you prefer the K70's?

M

·
Registered
253 Posts
What ever tyres you fit keep to stock sizes 3.25/3.50 and the handling will a lot sharper.Was always a fan of michelin m38s for my daytona but these days they only seem available in europe

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I had K70's on the bike when I got it and they handled well even in wet weather. when I did they wore out, I couldn't find them so I put K81's on. They didn't feel the same, and they weren't that great in the rain. When they wore out I put Metzelers on as my riding style got more aggressive. Love the Metzelers although they are a harder compound and need to be heated up before really getting into it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a new to me R "72" also. I fitted some K70 on and they seem good enough.

Motorcycle Superstore had the best price at the time.

Good Luck,
M

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now, how about tubes? Front is 3.5x19, rear 4.0x18. Looked at motorcycle superstore. They list:110/90-19, 120/90-19, 100/90-19 and similar for the rear. Not sure I understand this. 3.5 wide tire = 89mm wide. What does the "/" mean? Does a 110/90 fit tires with a width between 110 & 90mm?
Many thanks!
Mark

·
Premium Member
187 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have a look at Metzeler tubes on Motorcycle Superstore's site.

They give a fitment listing. I went with a 18' Type D for the rear and a 19" Type A for the front.

Hope that helps.

Marty

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Have you looked at the Bridgestone S-11 ? Similar appearance to K-81 but softer compound on edges for cornering grip. Price is good too. Bought a pair online for $120 shipped. Cheapest name brand I could find, and the customer ratings were very good.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Forgot to mention on Bridgestone S-11. They are wide. You might want to go with 90 on front and 110 on back on a bike with stock fenders. I bought 100 and 120 but don't have stock fenders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts