Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 1998 T-Bird last year with 8,000 miles on it, it was in perfect condition. I now need to replace the tires; Dunlop 205's, 110/80 ZR18 in front, 150/80 ZR16 in back. Went down to the dealer to order them and he has spent 3 hours trying to find these tires with no luck from Dunlop, Metzeler, Bridgestone, et al. He is being told these sizes no longer exist in radial form. Huh? If true, what is everyone using as replacements for a Triumph of this vintage? Would appreciate any help and pointing in the right direction. I can't believe I'm left with a machine that can't be shod with new shoes.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Two springs ago I put on Metzeler Lasertec's on in the size you need but they are not ZR rated. The Thunderbird typically cannot even reach the sustained speeds that would warrant the ZR speed rating.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Manufacturer recommeds, and dealers should stock, Avon Azzaro STs or Storms.

·
Registered
123 Posts
BigAl is right. I put a set of ST's on my 95 Tbird this summer and they transformed the bike! You'll love them. If the dealer doesn't have Avons you can get them at three or four internet sites, Dennis Kirk has them but the best price that I found (quick scan) was here:

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/3325?WT.mc_id=666111

good luck,

Ted

·
Registered
589 Posts
On my Adventurer, with the same wheel sizes as your TB, I installed Kenda K-673 Kruz tires in the 160/80-16 size (which is the stock size for the rear), and the 110/90-18 size (which is a noticeably taller profile than the original 110/80-18 front). They work great, are priced low, and they look awesome. Several folks have commented on how nice they look. The front comes very close to the front fender and I had to clip all of the little whiskers off because they were making a buzzing sound as the touched the inside of the fender. These are not high end "Sport" tires, like the Avon's, but I have yet to have one slide out unexpectedly. If you ride hard and spend a lot of time at elevated speeds, you should probably go with the Avon's. I have had my bike well over 90 MPH with no problems with the Kenda's.
Also note that only the Avon Venom (AM41/42) is available in the 160/80-16 size. The other Avon's either are not offered in the 16" size at all, or only go up to the 150 width.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
On my Adventurer, with the same wheel sizes as your TB, I installed Kenda K-673 Kruz tires in the 160/80-16 size (which is the stock size for the rear),
Also note that only the Avon Venom (AM41/42) is available in the 160/80-16 size. The other Avon's either are not offered in the 16" size at all, or only go up to the 150 width.
Early years ran the 160s, and later rears came stock with the 150's.

+1 on the Avons - beautiful tire for this bike. I get mine from Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse (http://www.accwhse.com). They used to have shipping deals on Thursdays....

They still have the AV46 rear in a 16 inch for $126, and the AV55 Storm front for $101. They usually last me about 7k miles on the rear and 13k on the front. You can balance out the sets by going to a sport compiount tire on the front... better traction, even life expectancy.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Been a year or so since I shopped around, but you will find plenty 150/80-16 but not that many with a matching 110/80-18. Not that some brands/models can't be mixed. I went with Bridgestone BT-45 at both ends and love them. I always heard running a tube increases the heat so your V rated tire is dropped to an H. I presume tubes in an H rated tire net you an S rating. You may not ride fast enough to care, but if you live where it gets hot you may want that extra bit of safety.

Stan

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
Avon Azarro ST Rear
Avon Storm Front

The Storm is the replacement for the Azarro ST.

I've never used any Bridgestone's, but I hear good things about them.

Dunlop now makes a D220 which is a replacement for the D205, although you can still find a few sizes of the 205's if you look hard enough.

Metzler has a good following and they certainly make good motorcycle tires.

I always go to an independent shop for tires, they are much more informed than my dealer about tires, and should be, they sell many more tires than the dealers since they always have a little better price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts