Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this group to add this comment because I think this group is more concerned with long tire life as compared to the tire that handles the best.

I have been on a search for long tire wear forever. Since my wife rides with me on her own bike, long life tires are essential.

I have come down to the fact that the Dunlop D205 is the longest lasting tire I can find (and also one of the least expensive).

I read once that Dunlop started a new tire called the D220. I bought two sets for both my (Sprints). I installed all 4 tires at nearly the same time. I was ready for a long summer of riding and not worrying at all about tires wearing out.

However, both rear tires were showing the cords in 4,000 miles. Since my wife and are are extremely easy riders, I was really surprised this happened.

We are getting mixed signals from the front tires. My front tire wore out in the same 4,000 miles. Her's is up to 6,000 and still looks good.

My question is, "what results are you guys showing that are using Dunlop D220 tires"??

John

·
Registered
248 Posts
I can't comment on the D220, but I used the 205 for years.
Now, I get longer life out of the Michelin Pilot Road
than the Dunlop. Plus, I like the way they handle. I'm looking forward to
the new Pilot Road2, which is supposed to wear well, plus stick even better.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've said this before on other tire threads,but you'd be hard pressed to beat Avons for durability.I got 9700 miles out of a set of Avon Azaros,mostly 80 MPH riding about a quarter of which was 2 up.Mind you,they were pretty much rags when I swapped them out 2000 miles ago.I couldn't find another set of Azaros that would fit my Trophy as they apparently discontinued them.The replacement for the Azaros are called the Storm.I've only got 2000 miles on them,so haven't had time to form an opinion on them as yet as to durability.They handle great dry or raining tho.If you go back thru the other tire threads I think you'll find that most guys felt they got more miles for their buck out of the Avons.

·
Registered
163 Posts
pilot roads

Just replaced a Pilot road with a popping center belt with only 2000 mile. Tried to deal with Mich but no success. I will never ride on a Mich again......... the rear wheel is now doing the same ........Metzlers forever........

·
Registered
29 Posts
Metzler Z6's are my choice, on my ST1300 I squeezed 15000km(9300mi) out of them, the ST is 200lbs heaver than the Trophy so I'd expect to get the same on it.

·
Banned
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do thank everyone for replies to my post. This is leaving me with a lot of options when picking my next batch of tires.

However, I am still concerned about the Dunlop D220. I am not seeing any posts on this tire. My two sets lasted about 4000 miles. Dunlop swears they are supposed to last longer.

Like the guy that had cord showing in 2000 miles on Michilins, this is what my Dunlop D220's did in 4000 miles. I could have bought a "bad set". I am still wondering on other's success............John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts