Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, I have 8500 miles on the original Mich T66's, and I have noticed that mine have worn differently than others seem to report.

My front tire is cupped badly and is down below the wear bars, however the back looks like I could get another good 2-3k out of it. I don't ride especially hard, but I do seem to favor the front brake over the back. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this pattern?

I have done a search on tires, and see that many have had good luck fitting road tires to the Tiger. I mostly commute on straight pavement, so I may go with BT020s to see if I can get some better tire life. Although, I do see some posts saying that the Anakees seem to last just as long.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I'm riding BT020s with about 9k miles on both. Front is fine, rear has enough wear on the center to fail inspection. Replacing the rear now with the same model.

The rear looks good to me and if not for the inspection, I'd ride another 1k probably.

I watch tire pressure weekly, brake pretty hard usually front only. Tend to accelerate a bit hard too. Quite a bit of commuting, but we do have some twisty roads nearby that I get on at least once a week.

Our county roads are pretty rough too, and I spend a lot of time on these back roads. Rarely get to rock or jeep trails. The softer compound has much better grip, so a little less life is OK by me.

·
Registered
378 Posts
This is one of those forems that will always go on and on.

I have 020's on my Daytonna and am more than happy with them but would,nt fit them on my Tiger, for two reasons really, firstly I have always been more than happy with the milage and performance I get from the Torences. This year I have toured two up and on my own in some bloody awfull weather and have never had the old girl let go with out giving me plenty of warning and looking back I was proberbly pushing it anyway and secondly cost.

For me Tourences will always be cheaper and in mho i dont believe I can get that much better performance from the o2o's on a Tiger.

:-D

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
How many miles do you get out of your Tourences clive955? I believe mine came off at 12K, so I was shocked to hear I should expect 8K out of my 020s.

When I took my wheel in for the change I gave it a good look. Decided to keep it and re-install when this new one wears. If not for failing the inspection, I wouldn't have considered new rubber.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've got to say I like my Tourances, on my 6th rear and 4th front. It takes me about 10-12k miles to get the rear down to the wear markers, which is plenty far enough. You could poke a thumbtack though the center at that point. I rode a Tiger this spring with the 020's on it this spring. I was surprised how much more I could feel the road. It was an 05 with the new steering geometry so 2 things changed, not sure how much was tires and how much the suspension. I am sure they stick better, but I haven't had any problems with the Tourances and they are great in the rain. I don't think you can go wrong either way and anything is going to feel good after those T66's.

I think the Tourances will have the longest life of any of your choices

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I am running Pilot roads on my 03 and the difference in feel, stability and breaking compared to the tourances is phenomenal. Not a lot of good if you go offroad but for roadwork they are far superior. No idea of mileage yet but if they give anything decent I wont go back to the dual road.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Whoa,

am getting about 12 k out of a rear set of Tourences and not sure about the fronts as the last two both had to be replaced after puctures. Like most others on this link though I don't think I would use the road tyres for my Tiger. Last year did a Trip to Italy and to get there used the motorways alot and although you got a small flat spot I found that once we started using the twisties in the mountains they came back and sorted themselves out ie no flat spots.

In 2004 i took my Daytonna to Niemes for three days track thrashing and i had to replace the rear before I took to the track and after the ride home becouse they had flat spotted so bad that in corners they were bloody dangerous.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've got a set of Pirelli Scorpion Sync that I've not yet mounted. Anyone tried those? They feel sticky to the touch which suits what I have in mind. I used to run Dunlop 491's and they were the bomb for long haul. Excelent in the rain but not what you'd call a sport tire. Drift at will.

L

·
0 Posts
My front tire did the same thing. I had to replace it at 10,000 because the cupping caused to much vibration. However, the center part of the tire still had some miles left.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm quite impressed with the tire life you guys are getting. OK, my front Tourance will probably last close to 10k miles, but my last rear Anakee probably only did around 5k+ miles, I'm now back on a rear Tourance this year and only expect to get 5-6k miles out of it (although I consider the Tourance to be harder wearing than the Anakee). I guess the explanation is 3-4k miles of each tire life is two-up with luggages, which does take it's toll, especially on the high speed bits. Doing the northern France autoroute's I can nearly see difference in thread depth between a couple of fuel stops.

Looking forward to trying the Bridgestone Battlewings next swap, not sure about tire life, but starting to see a lot of good reviews, both on this site and in the press.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Blimey! 10,000 miles out of a tyre..... I wish!

The most i have ever got from a Tourance was 6,800 miles and that was almost bald as a coot.

I ride pretty hard and 'progressively' shall we say when the opportunity permits and i guess my weight doesn't help much either. The Michelin's were even worse on wear, the most i ever got from the T66X's was 4,700 miles on the rear.

Still piling up the miles on the new Bridgestones, but wear rate looks really impressive so far..... we'll see ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts