Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have not had a bike with such a wide tyre on before it seams to have a 'natural' (for want of better word) flat area in the middle say about 3-4" wide. Am I seeing things or is
It normal?. My pressures are in the ranges that have been talked about.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I think I have said this before, but I found the Bridgestones to wear quite quickly. I got 5300 miles out of my rear that I had put on after a blowout (nail).

Yes. 5300 miles. The original Metzlers lasted 6500 miles (changed early due to long upcoming trip) and 5300 miles (also changed early, due to the above mentioned nail).

Right now I am running a Dunlop dual compound on the rear, which I have been quite happy with so far, and a Bridgestone on the front that I am not as happy with. I have put about 7500 miles on the front bridgestone, and it is getting very close to time to replace it. The original Metzler did close to 12k before it was time.

So, what am I saying here? Basically, my experience with Bridgestones has been lackluster at best. I had a set originally on my Suzuki Intruder, and the Intruder community has nicknamed them "Brickstones" for a pretty good reason...

·
Registered
108 Posts
When I initially purchased my Tbird, dealer told me 28-32PSI. Rear tire literally showing metal in the center at 4500mi. I was livid. I spoke to the mechanic after he replaced the rear, and he recommended the 42/40PSI, and apologized for the moron who told me the wrong PSI...Hoping these will last a bit longer, but I'm looking forward to the feedback from those who've tried the Avon's.

·
Registered
457 Posts
DocT - I purchased an Avon today - should arrive Wednesday and I'll get it put on straightaway and let you know. However - increasing tire pressure(past a certain point) starts decreasing the size of the surface patch of the tire touching the road. Over inflated tires will always wear out center first - even in car tires that are flat across the tread. Running proper tire pressure is more of a safety issue than anything else - you want the best surface contact for your tire, weight of your bike, etc. The owners manual reccommends 38 pounds on the factory rear Metzler. I've always ran mine between 39-40 pounds and wore the center of mine out too - and I'm at 5,800 miles, wear bars still visible so not quite yet bald. General rule, over-inflated tires wear out the center. Under-inflated tires wear out the outside. If you are already wearing out your centers, increasing tire pressure isn't going to prolong center tread life - it's physics - just won't happen.

Not sure this applies to bikes but to properly inflate a car tire for maximum foot print we use a trick I learned at the track. I have a '67 Camaro I quarter mile - You do a burnout - and then inspect the mark - if it's rubber heavy in the middle you decrease pressure - if it's rubber heavy on the outside you increase air pressure. As long as you are working in the safety margin of the tire itself, go for the pressure that works best for you - try changing just a couple pounds at a time and run it for a couple hundred miles and see how you like it. Good luck!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts