Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went over 3000 miles and in checking the tires, they look pretty good but the front looks like it is starting to flat spot. What has been the tire wear like for those that have put some miles on. I commute to work every day (weather permitting) and do some spirited mountain/coast riding on the weekends. Just trying to plan when tires might be due.
Thanks,
Len

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Just went over 3000 miles and in checking the tires, they look pretty good but the front looks like it is starting to flat spot. What has been the tire wear like for those that have put some miles on. I commute to work every day (weather permitting) and do some spirited mountain/coast riding on the weekends. Just trying to plan when tires might be due.
Thanks,
Len
i put new front and back tires on at somewhere around 7k. the rear looked like it had a good 1k left in it and the front maybe 1-1/2 to twice as much left. If you ride very sedately most of the time i imagine you could get 9-10k out of them.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Keep in mind there are a lot of factors involved such as riding style, load (solo, 2-up), etc... I'm not a very big guy (150 lbs), ride solo 95% of the time and ride "sedately" (to use dazco's term) 95% of the time. I just went over 3K on my T-Bird and the tires look great. I fully expect to get at least 10K out of them easily. My Tiger 1050 has 4600 miles on it and the tires (Michelin Pilots) on it look great too.

I had a Heritage Softail years ago and would get 14K or so out of the rear and 25K or so out of the rear.

FTR, I replace tires when they get to the wear bars so I'm not talking about wearing down to the point of having a slick.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys..I go about 230lbs and I would say I ride fairly aggressively (there is something about this bike!!). At 3000 the tires look good but you never know if they fall off quickly at some point. Sounds like I can expect normal mileage from these tires...
Len

·
Registered
63 Posts
I go 265lbs and ride sprited to agressive on mostly back roads I only have 1700 miles and I have all ready noticed some cupping front and rear and I put dyna beads in about 150 miles ago any suggestions ?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
7200 miles so far. both tires have a noticeable flattening, but I think I'll see 10K out of them.

I'm a good-sized guy, but a newer rider.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have ME880s on my VN900 and have over 13k miles on them with 4 rear/3 ft mm of tread remaining. I go 250 lb. The TBird is about 150 heavier than the VN900 so I expect to get good mileage out of these tires. For me the trick is to run them at Metzeler recommended tire pressure, i.e. 42 rear/ 40 ft.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2010 Thunderbird SE and just passed 5K miles. The dealer told me the rear tires have about 500-1000 miles left on them. I have the stock ME880s on them. Because I do a lot of commuting on superslab, the tires are worn in the middle and are still in pretty good shape on the sides. I'm wondering if I should replace with a different tire. I'm looking at the Bridgestone Exedra Max 200/50ZR17.

1) Does anyone have any experience with this tire?
2) Does anyone have a good dual compound tire they recommend for commuting?
3) The dealer told me it was a bad idea to mix tire brands between front and back. The front tire still looks good. Is there any validity to that?

Geoff

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2010 Thunderbird SE and just passed 5K miles. The dealer told me the rear tires have about 500-1000 miles left on them. I have the stock ME880s on them. Because I do a lot of commuting on superslab, the tires are worn in the middle and are still in pretty good shape on the sides. I'm wondering if I should replace with a different tire. I'm looking at the Bridgestone Exedra Max 200/50ZR17.

1) Does anyone have any experience with this tire?
2) Does anyone have a good dual compound tire they recommend for commuting?
3) The dealer told me it was a bad idea to mix tire brands between front and back. The front tire still looks good. Is there any validity to that?
Geoff
Of course, I meant tire, singular, not plural...

·
Registered
62 Posts
A few of the guys are running the Avon Storm 2 ultra and seem to really like it. Maybe they could add some comments.. I haven't tried them yet but will be going that way soon. It's a multi-compound tire. http://www.avonmoto.com/products/sport-touring/storm-2-ultra As far as mixing brands go, all I can say is that I've always done it and never had any problems. It might make a difference on a race track.. I dunno.. but for what most of us are doing I can't see it being a problem. Just don't mix types.. i.e. don't mix radial with bias ply.
That's an old thread you dug up... I know I've seen more recent comments somewhere around here lately!

·
Registered
684 Posts
the tires are worn in the middle and are still in pretty good shape on the sides.
I'm wondering if that is a result of being low profile. Unlike a tire that has a significant sidewall the tire's sidewall on a Thunderbird can't flex, and therefore the tire will always have limited surface contact.

·
Registered
705 Posts
10,500 mi. so far,front to rear wearing fairly even mostly in the middle and getting thin. I'm staying with the Metz. Although thin these tires never give up and not always a sedate rider.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I am now on my fourth rear tire, second front.

I went with the metz the second time around, then was forced into a set of Bridgestones for the third rear and second front. The Bridgestone lasted a whole 5300 miles before it was time to change.

I am now running the bridgestone in the front (it seems to be a pretty solid tire up front) and a Dunlop dual-compound in the rear, which I am hoping will last longer than the Metz's did. I think I could get somewhere between 7k and 8k out of the Metz... both of my previous ones were changed out before their time, the first due to an upcoming long distance trip and the second due to a road hazard.

I will be happy to report on the progress of the Dunlop as time progresses.

·
Registered
95 Posts
For me the trick is to run them at Metzeler recommended tire pressure, i.e. 42 rear/ 40 ft.
Good tip. That is well above the pressure that Triumph recommends. I just passed 7k and my rear tire has turned into a slick.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Keep in mind there are a lot of factors involved such as riding style, load (solo, 2-up), etc... I'm not a very big guy (150 lbs), ride solo 95% of the time and ride "sedately" (to use dazco's term) 95% of the time. I just went over 3K on my T-Bird and the tires look great. I fully expect to get at least 10K out of them easily. My Tiger 1050 has 4600 miles on it and the tires (Michelin Pilots) on it look great too.

I had a Heritage Softail years ago and would get 14K or so out of the rear and 25K or so out of the rear.

FTR, I replace tires when they get to the wear bars so I'm not talking about wearing down to the point of having a slick.
The quoted reply was mine from May of last year. I'm now at 8400 miles and my OEM tires look great. I'll easily get 12K out of them, maybe more. For the record, I run them at the recommended pressures found on the frame and in the manual (36 and 38, if I recall correctly).

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am on my third rear tire, got about 9-10k on each of the first two and 15k miles on the front before I changed it. Ran them all down to just getting smooth before changing them. Running about 40/42psi all stock metzelers, would try some avons if someone reported better mileage out of them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Those mileage numbers are amazing to me. I wouldn't say I'm an overaggressive driver in the least. Actually, I do lots of commuting. I wonder if it may have something to do with the suspension settings?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Those mileage numbers are amazing to me. I wouldn't say I'm an overaggressive driver in the least. Actually, I do lots of commuting. I wonder if it may have something to do with the suspension settings?
I do a lot of commute miles too, been running the rear preload on 3 and I did run them down to smooth, maybe not a good idea but like to get the most I can out of them since they are pricey to replace.

·
Registered
456 Posts
My bike is on the factory suspension setting which is the softest setting, IIRC. Weight is another factor. I weigh 150 lbs soaking wet and ride solo 99% of the time as my wife isn't really into bikes much.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I picked up this thread this morning as I am now shopping for my 1st replacement rear tire. The variance in reported mileage is, frankly, astonishing to me. Could there be a huge difference in road composition, different tire batches from the factory? I am a first time rider, the Tbird is my first bike, so this tire has been babied more than most. I don't mind nailing gears 1-4 in a straight line occasionally but I'm a bit sedate in tight corners. I hit wear bars at 5,300 miles. Looking at the front I'm not at all sure it will last until 10k. I'm meticulous about maintaining tire pressures, check them weekly and keep them 1lb higher than factory recommended. I ride solo 100% of the time and weigh 200lbs. So I'm with some of you guys looking for a tire that will give more mileage for straightaway riding. I'm not sport biking it in corners so I don't need the stickiest tire, but neither do I want a clodhopper. I see some of the heavier bikes like the vulcan Nomad, and Rocket III, Yamaha cruisers are running the Bridgestone...and it's $60 cheaper. Still haven't decided tho because other than mileage I've had zero problems with the Metz.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts