Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my Sprint, it needed tires (hence the reason for the scuffing on the right side). A buddy said to upgrade to a 200 and he got me a great deal on tires. Now, after about 6000 miles, the rear tire is wearing very well, but the front is bare on the sides with a nice practically unworn ridge down the middle. Now, I don't know how tires normally wear on these bikes, so is this common?

Am I riding too hard in the turns? (hah!)

Or is it because the rear, being wider, wants to push through a turn more than the stock 180 would, hence wearing off the edges of the front?

I should go back to the 180 in the back, shouldn't I?

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Sounds like you answered your own question :)

Our resident Tyre God DaveM uses a 190 and reckons it pushes harder on the front, so it does sound like you've got it.

Really, a Sprint/Speed Triple on a 180 or at most 190 are fine. Neither is an ultra high horsepower bike and I don't think the increased size of the contact patch gives you that much more grip. Really depends on what type of tyre (for stickiness/confidence) and tyre life combo you prefer.

Russ

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On 2007-04-14 18:55, ruscook wrote:
Sounds like you answered your own question :)
Yeah, I suppose I did. :wink:

So, if I go back to a 180 the front will wear better, right?

·
Premium Member
24,277 Posts
YES.

The 180 or 190 are fine but even the 190 pushes the front more.

Even running a 180 if you ride very hard all the time with softer sportier tyres you will wear out the sides before the middle.

I never wear the middle of my front tyre out because I don'y commute and don't do many trips and run race tyres.

See last pic in my album for front totally worn out on sides passed the wear bars and right to the outside edge but still ok in the middle.

DaveM :cool:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks much. I figure I'll get another front tire and when that wears out, I'll replace both. I assume the rear will be finished by the time I go through 2 fronts.

Thanks, again.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
On 2007-04-14 21:26, KaHOnas wrote:
I assume the rear will be finished by the time I go through 2 fronts.
Yep, I still tend to get 2 rears to 1 front.

Hang on you said the other way around. Hell, that's a hell of a lot of wear on the front. I've never seen it that way round, any comments Dave?

Russ

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've never seen two fronts to one rear! That's bizarre! Always the other way around. <scratches head>

At 7,400 miles, I'm due for new front and rear. Bridgestones be gone - bring on the Michelins! Stock sizes, please.

[ This message was edited by: upNorth on 2007-04-14 21:50 ]

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought it was odd myself, but then I'm probably in the serious minority running a 200 in the back. It's wearing well back there. After 6000 miles I'm just now noticing some plateauing. Plenty of tread left, but the front is due for a swap.

If a 200 is a 2:1 (front to rear) and a 180 is making a 1:2, maybe a 190 will get both to wear at the same rate.

Who knows...

DaveM, wanna chime in again?

·
Premium Member
24,277 Posts
KaHOnas,
I normally get 3000kms out of a rear BT 002 medium compound and about 6000kms out of a front BT 002 medium compound.

But by the time I change the front BT 002 after 6000kms the handling is seriously degraded, I mean it handles like the front is a Vee (which it is), and is pretty scary at times when changing line at high speed.

Running Pilot Powers 180 rear I got 4,500kms out of a rear and almost twice that from a front.

Some tyres I wear out front and rear at about the same rate but most often two rears to 1 front or almost two rears to 1 front.

DaveM :cool:

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Dave, I am still only getting 1 front to 1.5 rears.

I guess doing mostly 2 up doesn't help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts