Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
tire size and help!

So i know the tire size for my '01 daytona 955i is 190/50/17, but I was wondering if 190/55/17 would work as well.

also, I bought the bike with Dunlops on them, but now the rear tire needs replacing and I want to put on Michelin pilot powers. Would it be bad if I had michelins in the back and dunlops in the front? As in, would that pairing be bad for the bike? THe front tire looks brand new so I'm kind of hesitant on replacing it so that the tires match, but if I have to, then I guess I will. But what do you guys think? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
timwu, The 190-55 will work fine as well as true up the speedo slightly.

As far as the mismatch goes...prudent advice is to not mismatch. Nothing to stop you from experimenting and if handling is sub par, replace the front.

Brad

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
No one would advise mismatched tyres, BUT, I am going for something with more touring spec and have currently got a Metzler roadtech Z6 on the rear with a Bridgestone BT21 front, it handles absolutly brilliantly and certainly is 100% better than the BT010 original fit. Do it but handle with care at first is my 2 cents.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
actually, i had another question guys!

stock is 190/55/17, but can i put on 180/55/17? would the 1cm in width be a dramatic difference?

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
timwu, The 180-55 will fit fine (previous owner put one on my '98), but it does change the tire's profile slightly so at 10/10ths riding may bite back. the 190 profile is for 6" wide rims, the 180 is for 5.5" rims.

Brad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts