Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a bit of a dilemma. I decided I wanted to try the Michelin Anakkee 2's on my T100, mostly because I love them on my BMW GS and I always seem to find myself on a back back back road that turns to crap when I ride my Bonnie.

So I ordered a set back in August, was told they were in stock, but then only the front arrives and I am told the rear is now on B/O. So much for their sofisticated inventory system.

Well 2 months later the 130-80-17 is still on B/O with no end in sight. However I see that the 140-80-17 is available. I did a quick search and find that many are using this size instead of the stock 130 size.

Before I commit to $$$, has anyone used the Annakee's or others in this size? What changes to handling or other issues can I expect?

Thanks in advance.

Rick G

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Never heard of Michelin "Annakees" but I did hear going from 130 to 140 improves handling and slightly increases ground clearance which keeps you from touching down on pegs so easily. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
61 Posts
You will almost certainly notice no difference due to size. Nowhere near the difference that you would notice by having a new rear , different tread pattern or tyre pressure . 140/70 will fit perfectly on 3.5 in rim . I have not used anakees but have a AM44 Avon on the rear of my 09 bonny . On my second one now . First one lasted 8k .

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The 130 and 140 are the width of the tire in mm when it's mounted on the correct rim. So you can see that the 140 will be 10mm wider -- 5mm on each side. My T100 has plenty of room for that.

On a long trip recently, I wore out my new Tourance rear and I was ready to accept a little bit wider one, but found the stock width at a shop right on the route we were taking.

I always remember reading a story about a guy who had a Norton for a long time. Way back, he was talked into wider tires and rode them for years, then he mounted a stock tire and said he was amazed at how much better the bike handled.

On the T100s, Triumph mounts a radial rear and a bias ply front so even they don't stick to all the tire rules.

Regards, Chuck

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies. I went ahead and ordered the 140-80-17 but they did not have a tube to go with it. What size tube will I need for the slightly bigger size, or will the stock size work?

Thanks again!

Rick G

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
I think you'll find that the biggest problem is finding 17" tubes, period, they're not nearly as available as most other diameters.
However, I'd have to say that the minimal 10mm difference in the tire widths probably wouldn't warrant a change in tube size needed; as you'll see, most tubes are made to fit a wide range of tire sizes, often up to a 30mm difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts