Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was thinking of trying the pilot road 3's when my stocks run out...and it won't be much longer. Looking at available sizes:

Rear 150/70 17"
Front 110/80 18"

Is that what would be the 'best' of what is available? And that will fit on the stock rims/tubes (I might try to seal my rims and go without tubes...still deciding).

Sorry to spell it all out...been a while since I went with non-stock tire sizes.

Thanks in advance!
Not sure if that is the "best" of what is available, but I loved the PR3's in those sizes on my Thruxton. I got radial tires that looked great, were fantastic in the rain (and dry), and they worked perfectly fine with tubes as well. I thought about sealing my rims, but there really wasn't a place on Okinawa that could do the work. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Thanks, the "tubeless" designation on the sidewall was what I was referring to, and if in fact that would be an issue...

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
The stock tires are actually tubeless tires as well. Not a problem running tubes in a tubeless tire.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've been running the Sport Demons for over 5 years now with the 140/80 x 17 in the rear and the stock size in the front with no problems.

tgleaton..

How does the handling now compare to the stock sizes...The same , better ?

Have you got any photos you could put on here ?

Cheers

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hey Greebo,

I can't really give you a fair comparison of both but the Sport Demons feel incredible on my bike. I don't think the 140 is that much different than the 130. When I got my bike it was 3 years old with only 780 miles on it. I remember the Metzlers never had a good feelig through the hands to me, a little hard. The Sport Demons have a soft feel where you can feel more of the road. The trade off of course is the Metzler's last maybe twice as long as the Sport Demons. Also with the Metzer's I got the dreaded head shake at around 50 to 60 mph. With the Sport Demons I still get a little head shake but only when my front tire starts to lose most of its tread. I don't think this is all of the tires fault and I will find out this winter with all new rear shocks and front springs. Trying to figure out which way to go with those.

Here's a post with my bike if you want pictures. The rear tire on my thruxton is gone so it might be hard to see what they really look like on the bike.

http://www.triumphrat.net/club-cafe/485130-my-baby-turned-10-years-old-this-month-and-she-passed-over-40k-miles.html

41 - 47 of 47 Posts