Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First- Since I ride in south Florida my rides are mostly on straight roadways. My wear is that center strip. Without waiting for the tread indicators to show. at what point do I change tires? With only 2500 miles on the oem tires, how will the center strip ie.. flat spot, effect handling such as cornering?

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I've owned some Beemers that, once the tires squared off, I could literally feel the bike fighting to roll off the flat spot, then feeling like it was falling into the turn. My Bonnie doesn't feel as sensitive to squared-off tires, perhaps because the rear tire is a 130 or 140 instead of a 180.

My first set of Metzeler 880s seem to be keeping their shape quite well, with 6000 miles on them. With other tires (Dunlop 501GT's and Bridgestone BT45's) I was normally replacing them at 5K. Perhaps the 880s don't have the grip the others have (according to others who probably ride harder), but I'm not racing, just laying into turns at what I feel is a safe but also fun speed. I believe I'll be able to run the 880's another 2K miles before replacement. For my kind of riding, this is my kind of tire.

I ran BT45s on my W650 exclusively, and 501GTs on the T100 from 6K to 28K, so I have some experience with their wear characteristics. The 880s went on at 28k.

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts