Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
The Bonneville and SE both have no tubes - they are tubeless w/ alloy rims. The T100 still has tubes w/ spoked rims, and if you have a T100 - that is a good question!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Bonneville and SE both have no tubes - they are tubeless w/ alloy rims. The T100 still has tubes w/ spoked rims, and if you have a T100 - that is a good question!
I have an 09 Bonneville T100 (spokes), so now I am confused !

·
Registered
630 Posts
They may very well be tubeless tyres and marked as such but you can bet your bottom dollar that, if you have spoked wheels, they will have tubes fitted. That was the case with the Metzelers originally fitted to my T100 anyway.

I note that the Dunlop GT501's I have fitted now are marked "Tubeless: on a tube type rim fit an inner tube".

·
Registered
493 Posts
Well... don't feel too confused :)

Those tires are suitable for tubeless use and they indicate that. This does appear to be contrary to indications in the owners manual (at least my manual for a 2005 model). In any case there is nothing wrong with adding tubes to tires which are suitable for tubeless use.
The restricting factor in the case of a Bonneville T100 is of course the spokes, not the tires. Regardless of what the tire indicates, if you got spokes, you got tubes.

·
30,527 Posts
Often on these tires, there is a piece of text molded into it somewhere that says "if fitted to a tube type rim - fit a tube" sound advice indeed. I can't remember if it says that on the metzs or not - I remember reading it on a tyre and being mildly amused by it, as is my way sometimes.

Basically the manufacturer will tell you if the tyre is suitable for both types of rim or only one type. In the case of the stock tyres, the manufacturer (metzeler) designates them suitable for both rims.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts