Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone run tire pressure wise?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I go with what feels right for the particular bike, using the owner's manual as a starting point.

On the Sprint, it turns out to be 2 pounds lower than book-specified front and rear.

I wouldn't get more than 3 or 4 pounds off spec, for safety's sake.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Front tire 2,5 atm
Rear Tire 2,9 atm

dreitopf

·
Registered
73 Posts
Like suspension settings I think this is largely a matter of personal preference, and a compromise between comfort and handling. For me the best compromise is 34F/38R PSI. Less on the front causes a less sure footed feeling in the canyons. Higher pressures compound the bouncing typical on LA concrete slab freeways. BTW, that's solo with the stock BT020 tyres, which barely seem to get warm to the touch. For best grip I would probably do better at even lower pressures, but prefer the 'feel' at these number.

·
Premium Member
24,402 Posts
The book pressures are Maximum pressures for Max load.

I run race or sports tyres and use 36 psi rear 33 psi front for solo riding and increase by 2pis both front and rear when two up.

Too high a pressure and your ryre will never reach it's correct operating temp and also not reach maximum grip.

Your weight, type of tyre, and how and where you ride should determine your pressures.

DaveM :cool:

·
Registered
144 Posts
:-D Don't forget to buy a really good guage, most servo ones are out by 5 to 10 psi, so there is no point in talking changes in the 2 to 3 psi range unless you have a reliable guage :cool:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Sh#t - I just checked my pressures with an Oxford Digi gauge.

29.1 Front

40.7 Rear :???: :???: :???: :???:

These BT 020 tyres were fitted my the Triumph stealer :???: :???: :???:

Never checked till now!

Kev

·
Registered
896 Posts
the triumph manual for the 06 sprint says
front 34 psi
rear 42 psi

though a stated that is only a bech mark

·
Premium Member
24,402 Posts
PeirreOBollox,
please be aware what you have just said is true the manual says 36 and 42 for pre '05 models.

BUT................

This is for MAXIMUM load and is a MAXIMUM pressure for most modern sports touring tyres.

Read the side wall of your tyres and it will most likely state what I have just said.

If you run that pressure your ride solo under normal conditions without a load it will be like riding a plank and your tyres will never heat up properly and never grip like they are designed to.

If you do a search you will find that I have said this more than a few times. :)

DaveM :cool:

·
Registered
896 Posts
point taken
but the manual I refers to is for 05/06+ sprints

·
Registered
896 Posts
No worries mate

btw the whole triumph manual for the 05/06 sprint is a 16.8Mb pdf file :wink:

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Pierre and Dave,

I thought that the manual was quoting very high tire pressures and thats why I had asked this question in the forum. I am finding that generally this manual I can take with a grain of salt as if you noticed another post I asked how many quarts of oil since the manual doesn't even say! So dont get mad at me for asking these type of questions they may sound silly but the manual doesn't say...so I ask all of you experts since you have been riding this bike. :razz:

·
Registered
896 Posts
On 2007-01-17 09:56, ricster wrote:
how many quarts of oil since the manual doesn't even say!
I asume you mean engine oil.....see page 1.18 of the service manual
oil capacity:
dry fill 3.50 litres
wet fill (inc fliter) 3.20 litres
wet fill (excluding filter) 3.00 litres
sorry I don`t have volume in quarts :(

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
I have just had a new front tyre BT 014 fitted last week and discussed the pros and cons of tyre pressures and the like.

The (female) tyre fitter - she fitted male tyres as well - was suggesting to get the best cornering and performance from the tyre to run 33 front & 36 rear.

DaveM is on the money. He's the man - a really big man LOL

I have always run 36f & 41r

I do alot of two up and she mentioned that that would come close to the mark as well but a couple of extras psi wouldn't hurt.

The difference wasn't chalk and cheese but a definite improvement to feel.

I haven't pushed it too much on the first ride with a new front tyre but the difference is there.

Try it for the feel. If you don't like it - change back and call us a bunch of wank3rs.. :-D

·
Registered
122 Posts
DaveM

I've had this discussion at work over the years with many different buddies and some guys are absolutely steadfast about looking on the door of the car or reading the bike manual to see about the right tyre press. The way I always looked at it is the sticker on the car door or the bike manual might state a general number usually the max. press. That also happens to be on the stock tyre. If you change to a completely different tyre.the book or sticker might not suit that tyre. Do you agree?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts