Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the risk of covering ground that has been covered many times before I am checking tire pressure settings being new to the Sprint ST 1050.

The manual recommends 36 front and 42 rear. My bike has Pilot Road 2s front and rear. Looking at older threads most ST riders recommend 33 or 34 front and 36 rear.

Just checking why the difference and of course which is the best set up. My other question is would you change settings for solo sports riding in the hills versus open road touring with luggage.

Hoping someone can clarify this?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I run 32 front, 34 rear according to my gauge. Not to say the gauge is dead-nuts accurate, but the pressure spread between tires is much closer together than the manual suggests.
I do not change the suspension setting for different one-up riding conditions.

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
I weigh 220lbs and am built like a brick.

On my Sprint ST 955 I used 33 fnt & 36 rear Psi for solo riding and + 1lb front and +2lbs rear for two up.

On my Sprint GT with Michelin Pilot Road 3's I run 33 -34 psi fnt and 36- 38psi rear.

This is for Michelin Pilot Powers, Pilot Roads 2 & 3's, it should be noted that not all tyres work well at these pressures and you should experiment as your local climate, weight and road surface may lead to you choosing different pressures.

Continental Road Attacks for example seem to work best at higher pressures.

I only ever use the max pressures of 36 and 42 when loaded with luggage and pillion.

It should also be noted that tyre pressures are a very personal choice and a balance between, ride comfort, handling, turn in and grip, that is partly dependant also on your weather conditions, load and road surface.

I hope that helps
DaveM:HappySidecar

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

That confirms for me that the handbook guidelines is not what riders use. Appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again Dave

That makes sense Dave and thanks for the extra information. As I am using Pilot Road 2s I will try the 33-34 front and 36-37 rer range and see what works best for solo riding . Cheers.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
I'm pretty close to the 33 ft and 36 rear. seems to work just fine. I'm just over 175 lbs, and do almost all of my riding with the bags on, but with very little in them(mostly just my rain gear) unless on a trip. Then I add a pound or two.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow! I run the factory PSI, 36f/42r. I believe that I get good mpg and good tire mileage due to the higher pressure than those posting here who use lower psi. I ride conservatively and usually get 12.5k miles from my tyres, Z rated sport touring tyres on an 05 Sprint ST. I only drop my pressures (32f/36r) for track days.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Can someone explain the advantages/disadvantages to different tire pressures?

From what I can tell, manual settings are for maximum tire life. And while a slightly lower PSI means better traction (faster ire warm up and maybe additional fleibility) does that also = faster tire wear?

Beyond the above, I have never been educated.

Thanks,

- Dan

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have used 36/42 for over a year since buying the bike (2000 st955). I tried lower - 34/39..but noticed no difference.
I tried the age-old formula for determing the correct running psi for your tyres and that tells me that 36/42 is best. So I went back to that. 70% of my riding is 2-up, no luggage. I have still my original Pilot Road (1) on back - now with 15,000km on it. Still has 1,000 or so left.
Formula:
Insert say 34/38 in your tyres. Go home and leave till cold (4 hours say) and measure with a gauge. Go on a good ride. Stop and measure with the same gauge. If diff between cold and hot tyres = 2[psi = perfeact. If > 2PSI..you need to insert MORE air..and test again. If <2psi,...you need LESS air and test again. I ran this test over a week - and with 36/42 onboard - diff between cold and hot is 2psi. It works.
36/42 is the recommended pressure rate in the triumph manual for my bike anyway.
regards
mark

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
36 & 42 is also the maximum pressure as listed by the manufacturers for most tyres of the size the Sprint ST, GT and RS use.

My experience is that unless fully loaded this does not always provide maximum grip at extreme lean angles and can also give a more harsh ride.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, my opinion is that tyre pressures are a personal setting like suspension and one pressure does not suit all. Certainly, lots of things can affect this, not the least of which are; loading, riding style, air and road temps, different road surfaces and different tyres also respond differently to different pressures.

As for the manual stated pressures;
it is normal for most vehicle manufacturers to nominate a tyre pressure, but it is also quite normal for pressures to be changed from that according to load, and road conditions and riding or driving habits.

Changing pressures definitely can make a difference to how a bike handles, rides and brakes into corners.

My suggestion is you that you experiment yourself, much as you would with suspension set ups.

I have said before here a number of times that tyre pressures are like tyre choice and suspension set up.

My opinion is that one pressure does not always suit all conditions and situations, make your own choice according to your own loads, riding style and ride preferences by experimenting.

Cheers
DaveM:)

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Interesting thread here- I run 34/36 on my ST- I weigh 225 geared up and am almost always solo. i was in my local Cycle Gear today, looking at new tires, and the chap in the aisle tells me the optimum pressure for my bike, both tires, is 40 PSI!!! I asked him what sort of bike he's currently riding, and he replied rather sheepishly "none right now"...
Pirelli Angel STs- 258.14/ set, coming from Bike Bandit as a result...

denoose

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
I agree with Dave on pressures, but we are about the same size. However, I think newer design tires are optimized for somewhat lower pressures. When I changed from the original Bridgestones to Dunlop Q2's, I had to reduce pressures several PSI for them to feel right.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Interesting thread here- I run 34/36 on my ST- I weigh 225 geared up and am almost always solo. i was in my local Cycle Gear today, looking at new tires, and the chap in the aisle tells me the optimum pressure for my bike, both tires, is 40 PSI!!! I asked him what sort of bike he's currently riding, and he replied rather sheepishly "none right now"...
Pirelli Angel STs- 258.14/ set, coming from Bike Bandit as a result...

denoose
How did u arrive at 34/36? Did u work through options..or just go for that at a guess? I thought (guessed) that a slightly higher psi diff should exist between front and back and opted for 33/36. Maybe even 32/36.
After reading Dave's comment - I changed my tyres back to 33/36 as a test today and I'll run that for a couple of days...see how it feels...So far - couldn't tell the difference..except maybe slightly less "harsh" as Dave suggested...not sure..but I guess over time I might reduce my chicken strips a little at least. Slightly flatter tyre should slightly reduce squaring off I guess? Mine have squared noticeably - at the end of their life.
mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
At the risk of covering ground that has been covered many times before I am checking tire pressure settings being new to the Sprint ST 1050.

The manual recommends 36 front and 42 rear. My bike has Pilot Road 2s front and rear. Looking at older threads most ST riders recommend 33 or 34 front and 36 rear.

Just checking why the difference and of course which is the best set up. My other question is would you change settings for solo sports riding in the hills versus open road touring with luggage.

Hoping someone can clarify this?
Yep, 36 front & 42 rear - used those pressures on 955i & 1050 model sprints for last 18years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts