Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,242 Posts
Installed and balanced front and rear tires on my Thunderbird Sport today. No issues at all, other than some effort to break the beads during dismounting. Before attempting the Rocket 3 or Goose Touring, I am going to be looking at a bead breaker and maybe the Harbor Freight set up. Regardless, my spoons and balancer paid for themselves this afternoon.....

The HF Bead Breaker is fantastic! Wish I had one years ago. Worth every penny - and it's not many. I think it was $30

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
I admire those who change their own tires quite a lot, though I tried one a few years ago and immediately became a fan of providing employment for others.

Reactions: Thruxty and DougAU

·
Registered
90 Posts
Went to an auto store, asked the kid where the tyre irons were. This way he says and points to the item. That's a wheel brace I said. We have always called it a tyre iron he said. Well, you have always been wrong I told him.

Went to another store. Grumpy old English guy in attendance. I asked him for tyre irons. Over there he said, pointing to exactly what I wanted. Would rather have a grumpy old guy, who knows what a tyre iron is, Than a polite young kid, who does not.

UK

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
The HF Bead Breaker is fantastic! Wish I had one years ago. Worth every penny - and it's not many. I think it was $30

You guys and your fancy tools.
A 2x4 and a hinge.....and it doesn't take up floor space. Or can be used as kindling and replaced when the next tire job comes along.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You guys and your fancy tools.
A 2x4 and a hinge.....and it doesn't take up floor space. Or can be used as kindling and replaced when the next tire job comes along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNrhMUPxI3o
Yes, good idea. I alluded to it in post number 10. Now you have provided a pic.
Once upon a time the ISDT riders, had to remove the rear tyre from their bike, and put it back on, with the tools they carried on the bike.

UK

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Once upon a time the ISDT riders, had to remove the rear tyre from their bike, and put it back on, with the tools they carried on the bike.

UK

Before I had to change radials, I just jumped on the tire and somehow they magically broke loose. Six ply knobbies can be a workout.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

UK
I think if you couldn't do it it in under 5 minutes it was considered too slow .:surprise:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think if you couldn't do it it in under 5 minutes it was considered too slow .:surprise:
Might be 15 minutes they allowed. It was a long time ago that I talked with Jeff Smith. Mid seventies when he was working for CanAm.
There is probably archived footage somewhere. They lay the bike on its side to do the work. In the field, not in a workshop.

UK

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Might be 15 minutes they allowed. It was a long time ago that I talked with Jeff Smith. Mid seventies when he was working for CanAm.
There is probably archived footage somewhere. They lay the bike on its side to do the work. In the field, not in a workshop.

UK
Can't argue with you on that . Well over 35 years ago when I was discussing it with Mick Andrews , he was at the time practicing trick riding something he'd seen an American trials rider doing . :smile2:

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Harbor freight tire changer with motorcycle attachment + MOJO blockers and MOJO lever plus a couple thread bars and a static tire balancer all for less then $250.

I decided to go this route after being quoted $550 for a set of PR 3's if I brought in the wheels, cheapest shop I found locally was $40 a wheel if I brought them in off the bike and bought tires from them.

After shopping around I found Dunlop roadsmart 2's for $180 shipped to my door after rebate. You don't need to be a mathamagican to see the tools paid for themselves the first use. Not to mention I've changed 5 sets since on 3 different bikes.
It gets easier each time I mount a set,my latest trick was using a 2 in 1 aerosol spray wash n wax as lube. So after I was done I get nice shiny clean rims.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've done it with tire irons for years. Now that I have a shop to bolt it down in, I finally got to purchase the NoMar setup I've always wanted. Balancing is done with a Marc Parnes balancer on a homebuilt stand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Back2-2

·
Driftless Admin
11,762 Posts
Balancing is done with a Marc Parnes balancer on a homebuilt stand
Wow, what a nice setup. My garage is used for too many purposes, I'm always shuffling stuff out of the way to get to what I need. It's a mess.

But man, I have that Marc Parnes piece too, it is awesome. For a while I suffered with a cheap thing from Ebay that looked similar but wasn't symmetric. Caused me lots of heartache and too many miles with the front end bouncing from mis-balance. That Marc Parnes thing is worth it.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts