Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mounted and balance a rear tire the other day using my Harbor Freight tire mounting device.

Once the tire was mounted to the rim everything had gone almost too smooth up to that point which made me think I was getting good at this. Then came the tire inflating and trying to get the beads to both pop into place. Aired it up to like 60 pounds no joy.

I end up using a tie down strap and got it as tight as I could get it around that tire. Re-inflated and that tire popped on by the time I hit like 32 PSI. What a great trick to get the tire to pop onto the beads.

Hope this can save someone a headache who mount their own tires.

This Harbor Freight tire mounter is great, works like a charm. I also purchased the No Mar mounting bar which helps on my Guzzi mags.

The mounting bar which is nice with mags can be found here...www.NoMarTireChanger.com

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sounds like a great trick...the one time I had to reseat my bead with air I took some advice to remove the valve stem core to get a few more PSI into the tube/tire...that worked too but your 32psi solution seems much better.

How do you balance your tires afterwords?

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using the Harbor Freight static tire balancer. Darn thing works great. I just found a video on line showing how to use a static balancer. You can also find some good video stuff on line with great tips on mounting and de-mounting tires. After watching a few videos you figure out the best way that works for you.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Try using some Ru-Glyde from Napa to lubricate the beads when you are mounting and dismounting the tires. Not only does this allow the tire to seal faster, it provides enough slip to get it to start seating as soon as you mount so you don't have to use the strap trick.

Ru-Glyde takes all the work out of it.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
wish I read this yesterday as I changed a rear tyre and couldn't get the bead to seat.

was at service station using their air and several attempts of inflating then letting it down then re-inflating to 60 psi all to no avail. had to go back home and squish some washing up detergent onto the bead, back to the service station and voila... it popped into place

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The more lube the better I'm finding out.

When I purchased the No Mar mounting bar they gave me a free sample of No Mar Tire Lube, it's sort of a jell and works for mounting. The other thing that works well is just dishwashing soap in a spray bottle mix with water. I've used windex and that works good also.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I have the NoMar machine and use their lube. Supposedly better than water/soap since you don't want water/moisture trapped inside the wheel. Whatever works. I also have a bucket of a gel lube that is white that I purchased at an auto parts store. I recently managed to install tires on my Chevy using the NoMar. It did help to have a friend really press down on the opposite side of the bead into the drop center to mount the tire. They all popped easily with a small compressor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts