Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So how do you get a Thunderbird far enough off the ground to remove both wheels for tire changes without a table lift?

I have serious doubts about using just the centerstand because the rear fender wraps down so far.

And I've read that motorcycle jacks lifting on the engine are a bit shakey for that kind of work.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I used a motorcycle jack under the engine on my Adventurer to change both tires at the same time. It had some tie down hooks on it to stabilize the bike once in the air. Had a friend steady it as I raised it. It was very stable once strapped down. I put a piece of plywood under the sump with a hole cutout for the oil drain plug, and also to add a little clearance for the exhaust pipes.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I always use a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood under the two feet of the centerstand to give me some extra clearance. It's difficult to get the bike up on the stand with the extra piece of wood under it but it will give enough clearance to slide the wheel out.

Noel

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thinking an overhead unistrut monorail system to hoist from would be just the ticket.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I always use a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood under the two feet of the centerstand to give me some extra clearance. It's difficult to get the bike up on the stand with the extra piece of wood under it but it will give enough clearance to slide the wheel out.

Noel

Just that 3/4" get's the rear tire out?
I was guessing 4" or 5" more needed, but then again I didn't figure on the front end drooping to help if the front tire is removed first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts