Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright I apologize in advance if these questions seem stupid but I visited a dealer tonight and they had a new 08 Claret Bonneville and a used Black/Silver 2004 Bonneville with 3500 miles on it. It looked very nice and was priced at $5000. I have never bought a new bike from a dealer. My first bike was a $500 junker bought used in a private sale. I have bought new cars and was wondering if the process is the same? How much haggling? I figure dealers probably have less wiggle room than with cars.

What are people getting as a final price including tax and fees on the 08s now that the 09s are in?

What is a fair price for the 04?

Any opinions on which bike is the better deal here?

Also, what is the deal with testing a bike? I noticed the few new Triumphs in the dealership all had 0000 miles...so no one has ridden them at all. Can you take one for a ride or not? I guess I've never noticed people riding new bikes while visiting dealerships. What is the deal with this?

Any other tips for a first time buyer?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Alright I apologize in advance if these questions seem stupid but I visited a dealer tonight and they had a new 08 Claret Bonneville and a used Black/Silver 2004 Bonneville with 3500 miles on it. It looked very nice and was priced at $5000. I have never bought a new bike from a dealer. My first bike was a $500 junker bought used in a private sale. I have bought new cars and was wondering if the process is the same? How much haggling? I figure dealers probably have less wiggle room than with cars.

What are people getting as a final price including tax and fees on the 08s now that the 09s are in?

What is a fair price for the 04?

Any opinions on which bike is the better deal here?

Also, what is the deal with testing a bike? I noticed the few new Triumphs in the dealership all had 0000 miles...so no one has ridden them at all. Can you take one for a ride or not? I guess I've never noticed people riding new bikes while visiting dealerships. What is the deal with this?

Any other tips for a first time buyer?

Thanks in advance!
Just my thoughts.... Find out what the TOTAL cost of each bike is to buy... weigh out which fits your pocketbook the best... I will tell you that an '04 with 3500 miles is barely broken in... and $5k is a reasonable asking price. Make an offer and see how it works out...

You'll avoid taking the depreciation hit, have a great bike and have a bunch of money left over to do any upgrades you may want to do...

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I figure dealers probably have less wiggle room than with cars.
However, there is most likely a lot more wiggle room with a used bike vs a new one, depending on how the dealer acquired the used bike (auction, trade in, buy back, etc), and how good a negotiator they were when they acquired the used bike. If they put too much money in the used bike, not much negotiating room. If they 'stole' the bike as a trade in on a much more expensive bike, ie, taking the Bonnie on trade for a Rocket3, they have room to negotiate.

Search Cycle Trader, eBay, etc, for Bonnies of like age, as a point of comparison.

Bob

·
Registered
741 Posts
I just bought my first bike last year, (my 2008 Bonnie black). My experience was exactly like buying a new car. ***Your experience may vary.*** I took it for a test ride and haggled away... I almost walked away twice, but, they came down, (I got her for $8500 out the door (OTD)). If I were in your shoes, I would be happy with the Claret Bonnie with an OTD price of about $7,800 to $8,000. On the other hand, the 04 t100 has really low mileage, (my 08 has over 5,000 miles,) and seems to have a good price. I have no experience with buying used bikes.

As a former salesman, I would like to offer this advise on haggling. Start with a somewhat unreasonably low, but believable, offer. Don't start haggling with your ideal price because it will only go up from the first number you blurt out. Offer them something in the low to mid $7,000's on the new bike. Have a figure you're willing to pay in your mind, but don't let them know what it is, ever! As they say, "have your poker face on." If they want to make a sale, then they will give you a counter offer lower than the sticker price. Then you can counter their counter. You will meet somewhere in the middle, (hopefully around your ideal OTD price). If they just come back with the sticker price and don't offer anything, don't come up from your first stated offer. Wait for them to come down, (even if it's only slightly).

Don't be afraid to walk away. It's a buyers market right now. Take advantage of that. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
My dealer has a couple 08's he's offering at $500 below MSRP. That's not a real good deal unless he doesn't tack on all the uncrating/delivery fees (normally another $400-500 or so). The advice above is good. Get the best OTD price.

As far as riding one is concerned, sometimes they will have one bike (a demo) that they will let you ride. Its not the one you want to buy, but it will be a Bonnie so you will get a good idea what you are buying. You can also wait for the factory demo truck to be in your area. That's always fun, but may not fit your schedule.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Local dealer gave me a price of $8600 otd on a new black Speedmaster. So there is room but not much. Of course this was with the $650 incentive. I lucked out and found an 09 with 1200 miles from a private seller.

·
Registered
408 Posts
dealing with dealers

Here is how I bought my T-100 new in 2007. First, I test rode a Bonneville in Daytona when the Triumph Demo truck was in town. Next, I went to my local dealer. I told them I was ready to buy, and not to try to "sell" me on a different bike. Third, I told them what I wanted and I was giving them the first opportunity to make the sale. If they did not give me a good deal I would drive 15 miles to the next dealer. They took $500.00 off the bike of my choice plus they gave me a 15% discount on anything else I bought that day. The most important thing when dealing with sales people is don't appear nervous or desperate.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick update...rode the used 04 today. Ran great. No problems with the equipment. The rear brake didn't jump around but it did stop quick...don't know if this is what someone was talking about up the thread. They took it as a trade in andare the shop that sold it and serviced it for the previous owner. It has a back rest and windscreen...not a quick release. Also has TORS...although I had been planning on putting some D&D Megaphones or BC Predators on whatever I buy...so I don't know if that matters. He told me $5415 OTD (including tax and license) but I didn't make any offers at this point.

The Claret 08 is $7750 OTD (including tax and license) but that is the 1st price he said and I didn't try haggling anything because I told him I'm still looking around.

Any thoughts on offers? I thought about leaving the 04 price the same but asking that they throw in an All-weather cover and install some Engine guards and see if I could get some other freebies out of them. The help so far has been great. Thanks for the info and I look forward to any other tips!

·
Registered
76 Posts
In NZ most dealers around NZ sell for much the same price and usually wont move much on the asking price,what I did was after trying to knock the dealer down on price, he wouldnt move ,was I said id give him the full price ,my t100 ,but I wasnt paying on road costs,and I managed to get nearly $1000 worth of gear thrown in,two helmets two sets gloves and a grabrail fitted,I have been successful with this kind of deal before,a $1000 worth of gear to me is maybe only $ 300/400 worth to them,if you get me,they have a bigger profit markup on parts and gear than on new bikes so more room to move.brent

·
Registered
956 Posts
Quick update...rode the used 04 today. Ran great. No problems with the equipment. The rear brake didn't jump around but it did stop quick...don't know if this is what someone was talking about up the thread. They took it as a trade in andare the shop that sold it and serviced it for the previous owner. It has a back rest and windscreen...not a quick release. Also has TORS...although I had been planning on putting some D&D Megaphones or BC Predators on whatever I buy...so I don't know if that matters. He told me $5415 OTD (including tax and license) but I didn't make any offers at this point.

The Claret 08 is $7750 OTD (including tax and license) but that is the 1st price he said and I didn't try haggling anything because I told him I'm still looking around.

Any thoughts on offers? I thought about leaving the 04 price the same but asking that they throw in an All-weather cover and install some Engine guards and see if I could get some other freebies out of them. The help so far has been great. Thanks for the info and I look forward to any other tips!
OK, one advantage of buying used is that you can pull any unwanted accessories off, e-bay them or list on forum classifieds and recoup some coin to put towards what you want...

Offer 5 grand out the door and see what he says...

I'll throw in a couple of personal opinions on which to choose... I'd go with the '04 if it was me... Hinckley UK built instead of Thailand and the '08 has the "bloated pregnant guppy" EFI gas tank on it... I HATE the look of the EFI tanks... the ones on the America and Speedmaster are a TOTAL joke... butt ugly...

BTW... is the '04 a T100 model? Does it have a tach on it and chrome engine cases? I ask because you listed the color as Black and Silver... which is two tone, indicating a T100... But that is not a T100 color combo that I've ever seen...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, one advantage of buying used is that you can pull any unwanted accessories off, e-bay them or list on forum classifieds and recoup some coin to put towards what you want...

Offer 5 grand out the door and see what he says...

I'll throw in a couple of personal opinions on which to choose... I'd go with the '04 if it was me... Hinckley UK built instead of Thailand and the '08 has the "bloated pregnant guppy" EFI gas tank on it... I HATE the look of the EFI tanks... the ones on the America and Speedmaster are a TOTAL joke... butt ugly...

BTW... is the '04 a T100 model? Does it have a tach on it and chrome engine cases? I ask because you listed the color as Black and Silver... which is two tone, indicating a T100... But that is not a T100 color combo that I've ever seen...

It's not a T-100...just a standard. Thanks for the advice...the ebay idea is a good point.

·
Registered
687 Posts
08 New

The MSRP is $8299 so you are getting a deal already at $7550 including tax and license. Make sure that includes freight and set up. Also, until 6/30 there is a promotion of 5.9% or up to $1500 in gear and accessories. Don't forget the factor that in. Make sure the dealer is giving it. If you like bling, then the T100 gives you chrome, tach etc. Also you get the 2 year warranty. The big change may be the redesigned rear hub which was designed to stop spoke breakage which some earlier bikes were prone to. Also the 04 came with Bridgestone Batlax tires which, IMO, not nearly as good as the Metzlers. The tires on your used bike are now 5 years old despite the mileage and may need changing out. Another $200+. In 04 the Metzlers came on the T100 but the other Bonnies got Batlax. I have a Bonnie Black 04 which has a been a great bike but when I bought I couldn't get a T100 because they were sold out and I mean none to be had at the distributor. They had to ship my bike in. Times have changed a bit.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
04 vs 09

Id go for the 04 & use the $$ to make it into what you really want!! Sounds like a really nice bike B&W!! I got a 04 BB & love it!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I sealed the deal a few hours ago on the 2004. In the end it already had most of the features I would have had to add to the 2008 and the extra cash can pick up anything else that pops up. I am already thinking I want to pick up some BC Sleepers. Probably going to sell the windscreen and backrest too. Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts
Glad you got what you wanted. Is that a stock paint scheme on the '04s? Looks good. What did you end up paying, btw?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Great pics , very nice looking bike btw .

I enjoyed this discussion very much , learned or relearned a lot :)

That's the same backrest I have and it looks a lot better with the Triumph King and Queen seat with it as it's more IMO the right height for "looks" . My wife had to have that :rolleyes:

best
spro

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
04 B&w

Good move!!! I feeel the 04's were one of the best made Bonne's & Made in England! It has some goodies on it as well. Does it still have the AI on it?? If so - get rid of it! Beautiful looking bike. You will love it! That was someones baby. All metAL- NO PLASTIC & nice color!1What more could ya ask for?? Congrats!! & ENJOY.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts