Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has never happened to me, but I've had several close calls, including one today.

My shoelace looped around a little doo-dad on the left side of the bike (not a Triumph fwiw) as I came to a stoplight. My right foot was on the peg and the rear brake and I was already leaning left, so redirecting to that side wasn't much of an option.

Luckily I noticed what was going on in time to forcefully jam my left foot down (untying my shoe in the process) and avoiding a fall.

Let's say I hadn't been able to stop myself. What do I do? Let the bike fall on my leg? Try to slow the fall with my left arm?

Any tips would be appreciated. I know the best thing is to make sure that jeans and shoelaces aren't in a position to be caught, and I am pretty conscious of this, but accidents still happen.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
This is why you should wear proper riding boots with no exposed laces and proper riding pants ( not jeans because the hem will catch too ) Then those accident's don't happen... :angrysoapbox:

It might help to make sure your foot is clear before you commit by stopping completely. If your foot is truly trapped the bike WILL fall on your leg and your arm isn't going to do much to ease the fall...

Glad you got your foot free!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Ouch...bad memories of sneaker laces getting caught on the peg of the old Yamaha.....that did hurt a bit (messed up wrist). After that incident (30+ years ago), I ALWAYS double tie my laces (and I do wear riding boots...but lace-up style). Also keeps 'em from coming unlaced and getting caught in strange places (think push-bikes and chains....don't ask). FWIW I wear Draggin' jeans or Carhartt double layer pants when riding, and normally leather overpants (textile pants w/armour in summer). Never thought about snagging a hem....good warning.

Derswede

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Oh dear.....painful memories!...18 yrs old with my 'mean machine' (Well a Honda CB250 G5 !!), flared jeans, sitting on the bike while it was on the centrestand, talking something meaningful about the latest Led Zep album. Decided to show off and do a big springing leap and jump off the bike...... Well that was the plan anyway.....Kick start had gone up my right trouser leg and when a jumped off, it stayed there and i catapulted off and i face planted the drive...ouch bloody ouch! Broke my wrist in two places and chipped two teeth and cut my left eyebrow wide open and my dignity and 'cred' completely down the crapper!

painful......woeful

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Let that be a lesson to you, wear PROPER footgear

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
...those BATA motorcycle 'boots' are only legal in Asian countries Saph !

I always tuck my kevlar jeans into my riding boots, I've nearly tipped over a few times when I wore them on the outside of the boots and they caught the peg.

I remember a thread on this site when one of the members trying to impress his new girlfriend rode up to her when she was standing with her girlfriend and promptly fell off in front of them when his jeans caught on the footpeg !

---------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've only been a member of this forum for a few months but I CAN'T BELIEVE you're advocating wearing flipflops!! Are you crazy????
:D

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
I've only been a member of this forum for a few months but I CAN'T BELIEVE you're advocating wearing flipflops!! Are you crazy????
:D

Yes he is, he's a moderator, it's a prerequisite, it helps in understanding some of the posts ! In this case though his tongue was firmly in his cheek !

--------------
Ride on ! ;)

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Luckily I noticed what was going on in time to forcefully jam my left foot down (untying my shoe in the process) and avoiding a fall.
Okay, I have to ask. At this point in the narrative, I'm picturing you with your sidestand down and your left foot tied to the motorcycle. How did you escape? Pull out your foot, or yell for passers-by to bring the scissors of life?

And I'm not crazy. I'm sanity-challenged.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, I have to ask. At this point in the narrative, I'm picturing you with your sidestand down and your left foot tied to the motorcycle. How did you escape? Pull out your foot, or yell for passers-by to bring the scissors of life?

And I'm not crazy. I'm sanity-challenged.
The loop of my shoelace was caught around some kind of doo-dad on the engine, I noticed it in time to bring my foot up a little bit and then forcefully jam it down to the road.

This action untied the shoe (and yeah, ripped the lace almost in half as well).

Not sure if I can get away with wearing riding boots every time I ride... I take the bike everywhere (it's my only form of transport most days), and sometimes I need my normal shoes.

Since the other day I've re-dedicated myself to making sure the loops are always tied short, and checking to ensure I'm not snagged as I slow down to a stop.

But still I'm wondering... what happens if I do tip over? Would the bike break my leg or just badly bruise it? Is it better to try and slow the fall with my arm? Are there any techniques to fall more safely?

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
But still I'm wondering... what happens if I do tip over? Would the bike break my leg or just badly bruise it? Is it better to try and slow the fall with my arm? Are there any techniques to fall more safely?
Definitely don't try to stop the fall with your arm, there's a lot of weight of the bike behind you. Broken arm or shoulder/collar bone would be typical of such a fall trying to save yourself doing that. Generally you don't have too much time to think about it, it's pretty sudden. I've had a lot of moto-x falls but generally I have never been stuck on the bike.

---------------

·
Registered
350 Posts
Definitely don't try to stop the fall with your arm, there's a lot of weight of the bike behind you. Broken arm or shoulder/collar bone would be typical of such a fall trying to save yourself doing that. Generally you don't have too much time to think about it, it's pretty sudden. I've had a lot of moto-x falls but generally I have never been stuck on the bike.

---------------
just wondering if anyone has had the unfortunate experience of lifting a Bonneville after a fall. With the low seat height it doesn't look too difficult.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
With the Thunderbike crash bars and the giant aluminum panniers on my Tiger - look at the avatar - I fall over, crawl out from under the bike, take three big breaths and hoist her back to her wheels. If I can life a loaded Tiger, anybody can pick up a Bonnie! I would guess the Tiger has been down three or four times on each side. Only a couple of times in front of an audience!

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you are wearing loose jeans, and your laces are long enough, you can tie (not too tight!) the laces around the hem of your pants to keep them in. If you know a fall is unavoidable, IMHO, the best way to save injury (maybe not the bike) is to turn sharply so the bike falls perpendicular to direction of travel and let go, this way is more likely to save your leg as the your body will be pulled away from the bike because it slows much more quickly.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Short leg syndrome.

I've had this happen to me three times; cost me a mirror and a footpeg the first time! Problem is I've got short legs; did it once with my wife on the back; broke the brake lever! Twice I managed to pick the bike up, but the last time, it fell on my leg and I couldn't get out from under to move the bike!

Any serious ideas on how to avoid this or mitigate the damage? It's very embarrassing!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts