Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am embarrassed to say a few weeks back coming to a stop on the side of a gas station parking lot. I lost my footing when stopped and I was on a slight side incline that my bike tipped 20-30 plus degrees on me and while still running and in gear I ended up laying it all the way down easily on the pavement. I was shocked I could not get it back up in the position I was in. After thought I could of hit the kill switch and adjusted my hands.

I did roll out of the bike and had it back up in less then a minute. Were was that strength when I needed it.

I had another time were I thought my kickstand was down and went to tilt it and swing my leg off when realizing the stand was not down. It took everything I had that time to get it back up, but I did.

Coming from my Victory Vegas 100 pounds less and lower weight distribution. I wonder has anyone else had close encounters. I do think it is a little top heavy compared to my Vegas. After this No way would I consider the Rocket III, which I was considering.

Anyways no paint damage, a small scuff on the handle break lever, Front right turn signal lens broke, bent the brake pedal in and a broken key in the ignition. The only cost was the lens cover $12. Everything else was fixable or very minor.

I just ordered the front dresser bar and rear dresser bar both for $349. Just thinking ahead.

I'm late 40's 5'11" 200 pounds, Im no slouch but damn if I did not have the strength to pull it up when I needed too once, almost twice. Anyone else. I certainly will be much more cautious were I go to stop on my bike. And I tossed those freaking boots that I wore the first time all season.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
not yet on my bird, but a couple of times on my lowrider I tipped over turning hard while pushing it. each time I was sitting on it & it landed on the footpegs or maybe even the frame not letting it go all the way. I was hoping for the same fortune with the t-bird?

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Never laid it down, but came close. Pulled up to a stop sign and the pavement was raised where the wheels were and there was a depression that was about 4-6" where my right foot came down (you are from Buffalo, so you know how wonderful our roads can be). This caught me off guard and the bike started to go. It took everything I had to keep it up. I'm not weak, but I'd hate like hell to have to lift this beast up.

·
Registered
267 Posts
It can happen to anyone. I did it one time at a stand still when distracted by a girl walking past. Embarrassing yes, no real harm. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
26 Posts
My driveway is at a slope and I decided to park it sideways right after i got it... not the brightest idea. It took everything I had not to drop it.... and I'm a 28 year old former college football player. I'd hate to see what happen if I ever dropped it. I'm not entirely sure I'd be able to get it back up myself.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
I dropped my Sprint and kind of needed help getting it up. I dropped my Rocket Touring a couple times and was able to right it myself, believe it or not. The difference is that with the engine guards, the Rocket only goes to 45 degrees, whereas the Sprint goes all the way down.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
I did it two years ago when I did a trip up to PEI. I was in the Lancaster, PA area at the time and I was about to do a merge to the right when I realized that here was a car there. Hard brake on the front and I went down at <5 mph.

Damage: cracked right hand blinker lens like yours, bent up brake pedal, and slightly scuffed front brake lever.

The lens I actually repaired... it was fractured into little pieces, just cracked enough that it wasn't going to stay in the rest of the blinker frame... so I silicone glued it in place. :)

The rear brake pedal I actually left bent up as a reminder to myself. It was still usable in that position, but worked well to remind me of things not to do. When I took the bike in recently for a 36k mile maintenance, the guys at the shop bent it back into place for me without asking... I was actually slightly annoyed by that. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Did the same everyone does it eventually . Bent the clutch peddle in but easy fix using a long bit of wood and using leverage bent it back out again. Dont worry about dropping the bike as long as u dont drop it at speed hehe.

·
Registered
2010 Thunderbird 1600
710 Posts
I had the exact thing happen with the sidestand, It was almost at the point of no return but I kept it up. although my back and shoulders were sore for a week. So now I give it a good look before I lean it over. Oh and yes the damn things HEAVY.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I understand how a tip over can happen. I did it and almost did it with my America. But to tip the bird you need to move it off of its low center of gravity. So if you guys have lost it, you must really have f****ed up.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts

·
Premium Member
663 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Everyone who rides has layed a bike over at some point. I haven't done it in a very long time, and hope not to ever again, but hey you never know. At least at this point in life I know the proper technique to get it back up again. I didn't back in the day, so you can imagine how comical that must have looked.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The advantage of being a girl and dropping your bike (at the top of an off ramp, very cold, and on camber that was going the wrong way) is that MEN appear remarkably fast! Still, because of the big pipes and a soft drop both times, it has never been hard to bring up again.... And I've now practiced how to do it on my own should I ever need to.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Haven't had the pleasure of tipping the bird yet, but I've had two incidents in my past, both to do with kickstands. One was pulling out of a garage with my Katana, thinking I fully engaged the kickstand before heading back to close the garage door but due to the incline on the driveway and not having fully engaged the kickstand I got to watch my bike slowly lay on it's side.

The other incident was on my VFR. I was just backing out of the driveway and had stopped to adjust my helmet, at which point my 6 year old comes running out for a hug. I thought I had engaged my kickstand. The little guy jumps up and pulls me off balance at which point I realize the kickstand is up and i have to decide between the bike and the kid. I think I made the right decision, the kid was fine, the bike, not so much....

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Tipped over my R3T. Stupid me, I adjusted the suspension way too taunt, so it raised the bike's height. When I got in position to let my daughter off the bike, it felt like someone pulled the tires and down she went. Slight scratch on the engine guard, another slight one on the luggage rail and a small scratch on the luggage reflector. Nothing visible in plain sight...

I did knock the preload a few notches back...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts