Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my timing is off on my '65 Trophy 650. She fired up quickly the other day, but the throttle response is bad. Carb is new and clean. I did replace the condensers, and, I do recall loosening the pillar bolts, as well as gapping the points but this was about a year ago. I need to start fresh. I should remove the entire unit and make sure the advance is working properly too. Do I need that special tool to remove the advance or is their another way? Some coaching would be appreciated!
Gar

·
Super Moderator
10,499 Posts
Hi Gar,
remove the entire unit and make sure the advance is working properly
Before removing points and auto-advance unit, if you mark the points plate and AAU in relation to a fixed mark on the timing cover inside the points compartment, the marks will help with reassembly.

Remove the 1/4" bolt in the centre of the points plate.

There is a Triumph workshop tool - D782 (60-0782) - for 'breaking' (not literally ;)) the auto-advance unit's male taper loose from the camshaft's corresponding female taper but ime a reasonably-long 5/16" bolt will do.

As yours is a '65, I expect the AAU extraction thread is 5/16"-26 Cycle; however, don't exclude the possibility it's BSF (22 tpi) or a later replacement UNF-thread (24 tpi) unit ... :rolleyes:

You should be able to screw in the bolt 'til it bottoms on the end of the camshaft. When so, knock the protruding bolt with the heel of your hand once in each direction (up and down or side-to-side). This might 'break' the AAU-camshaft taper but, if it doesn't, ensure the bolt is hand-tight against the end of the camshaft and repeat. The AAU should 'break' free with only a few good hand thumps on the extraction bolt.

The Triumph workshop manual has Section B28 "REMOVING AND REPLACING THE CONTACT BREAKER" (.pdf pages 78/79, paper pages B26/B27); it's light on removal instructions, better on reassembly as it covers both 4CA and later 6CA points plates.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
hey stuart

As yours is a '65, I expect the AAU extraction thread is 5/16"-26 Cycle; however, don't exclude the possibility it's BSF (22 tpi) or a later replacement UNF-thread (24 tpi) unit ... :rolleyes:
i didnt know that there were three thread possibilities.

what were the circumstances around the BSF 22 threads?

·
Super Moderator
10,499 Posts
Hi Kevin,
didnt know that there were three thread possibilities.
what were the circumstances around the BSF 22 threads?
Never come across a BSF-thread AAU. However, I wouldn't claim vast experience of 1960's Britbike AAU, just thought I'd mention the BSF possibility in case it happened neither a 5/16"-26 (Cycle) nor a 5/16"-24 (UNF) bolt fitted the AAU on Gar's bike?

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
or one got forced into the hole.

ive discovered M8 screws holding primary covers in place instead of 1/4-20

1 - 5 of 5 Posts