Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ,my name is Dale. I have a 1960 tr6 and I am having trouble timing the engine. My question is the Magneto I was told if you take off one of the pickups you will see brass or copper strip in the hole.does the mag have to be in a certain place to time the engine.I have been thru the procedure of finding tdc,opening the auto advance and the point procedure but all to no avail.any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Administrator
19,459 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The folks with the knowledge and experience on the classic Triumphs will be found in the Classic, Vintage, and Veteran forum. Introduce yourself there and engage the members with your questions.

http://www.triumphrat.net/classic-vintage-and-veteran/

Best of luck.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi if you take off the rocker inspection covers put the bike in top gear with the plugs out turn the wheel fwd to find tdc on the left hand side (ie)inlet valve shut use your timing stick and mark tdc remove it and then mark it at what fig the timing is before tdc rotate back wheel backwards the fwd slowly with timing stick back in to the timing mark doing it this way should get rid of any backlash full advance the mag if it is a manual control turn the points to the upper position just opening if auto advance retard wedge open to advance keep the points /shaft were they are fit the shaft gear with it nut and washer re check it again if all good remove the wedge if fitted put bike back together if not start again till you get it right when you look at the points the will be aprox be nine position looking at the clock face good look.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts