Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Repair may be a bit of a misnomer. I have 2010 Bonneville mag, and noticed now how bad the suspension is. It is still the original parts from the day it was purchased off the dealer lot.

I want to hear what you guys went with. I would love to do an Öhlins setup front and rear, but it's just not feasible for the age of the bike. I am considering tec's piggy back kit with the front progressive springs or the YSS shock setup from wemoto.

let me know what you guys did, and did you like it?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Stay away from the Tec shocks. They have been known to break when your riding.

I have Hagon 2810's on the rear, and Sonic Springs in the front of my 08 T100, mucho better than stock.
Do a search on this website especially in the sticky labeled rear shocks.
+ 1 on the Hagon 2810's. Huge improvement over stock. Especially if you like roads less traveled.

Spend a bit of time understanding rear shock length too. Some people get longer shocks for handling characteristics. I stayed with stock length, so best to hear from other folks on here.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Hagon 2810 rear and I was lucky to find a second hand unused Matris F15K fork cartridge kit on ebay . The cartridge kit sounds expensive at full retail but from current experience I would call it money worth spending .

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the TEC's (softer spring option) no problems for 2 years. Although Hagon would be my next choice.
YSS fork emulators are a ' massive ' (and lost cost) improvement.
Again I got mine from TEC (check the youtube video).

·
Registered
253 Posts
I got tec progressive fork springs and their adjustable piggy-back shocks. The springs did improve things but the oe damping mechanism is still the weak link. The shocks did not impress me at all, even after I fitted the stronger springs they were still prone to bottoming, I put them on my Enfield GT and they worked quite well, at least until they started leaking.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The Hagon 2810 Adjustable Shocks are wildly popular... I'll dare say with a cult following. Add me as chief Kool-Aide drinker. And they are now offered in optional Stainless Steel construction.

The matching Hagon Fork Springs make for a balanced package, affordable to almost everyone. I cannot think of a better package of the money.

/M

·
Registered
237 Posts
In spite of the fact that my Bonnie is 6 years old, I did the full Ohlins set up. Piggy backs in rear. Fork cartridge up front with full adjustability. I don't plan on selling the bike anytime soon so I don't care. The improvement to me was worth it!

Rick G

·
Registered
14 Posts
Repair may be a bit of a misnomer. I have 2010 Bonneville mag, and noticed now how bad the suspension is. It is still the original parts from the day it was purchased off the dealer lot.

I want to hear what you guys went with. I would love to do an Öhlins setup front and rear, but it's just not feasible for the age of the bike. I am considering tec's piggy back kit with the front progressive springs or the YSS shock setup from wemoto.

let me know what you guys did, and did you like it?
I installed TEC shocks and springs on my 2010 Bonneville two years ago. I like the ride and they haven't broken.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a 2010 Mag Bonnie. I put shocks from a 2001 Kawasaki ZXR on it. The springs were too heavy for me so I had RaceTech send me a set of springs in a weight they recommended. Then I put Andreani cartridges in it and used .88kg springs.

As you can imagine these upgrades totally transform the bike. The geometry is there, it just needs shocks and springs to bring out the best.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Had a pair of IKON 7610 on my speedmaster, until it got splattered, put them on my T120 LC 2016, great shocks and good adjust-ability.
I did have Hagon's- non rebound adjust type; on the speedmaster before the Ikons, but Ikons were a lot better.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Bitubo WME's on the rear was the first upgrade on my 2012 mag wheeler, later got their cartridges for the front. good midpriced parts IMO + they had 3 levels of weights carrying to choose from. one size does NOT fit all with suspensions!!

·
Banned
976 Posts
I went with hagon classics in the rear and 30mm extra preload up front along with thicker oil and a fork brace from Norman hyde. Those piggyback shocks just look odd on bikes like these in my eyes.. handles very predictably now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hagon 2810. My issue with the stock setup is that when hitting bumps/potholes, the bike would feel unsettled, pogo-like. I'm not an expert rider to be fair, so take what I say with a handful of salt. When a pair of Hagons popped up here used, I jumped on the deal and added progressive springs up front. I still haven't gotten around to changing the fork oil though.

The performance is vastly improved. There is much less brake dive and the rear is much firmer, more planted when riding through uneven road. The setup can be firmed up much more for smooth road riding but around me there isn't much of that.

I'm pretty satisfied but, it could all be in my head as I've gotten better on the bike and more used to it. Either way, I enjoy the bike more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts