Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Pirelli tires on my 2012 Speed Triple R are toast.What are the suggestions for a good all around tire. Good grip in the dry as well in the wet?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
The Pirelli tires on my 2012 Speed Triple R are toast.What are the suggestions for a good all around tire. Good grip in the dry as well in the wet?
I have gone through a lot of Sport oriented tires in the 11 years I've owned my S3, and was tired of replacing rear tires every 3500 miles. I've had a set of Pilot Road 2's for a few thousand miles now, and would recommend them to anyone who rides on tue street.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bridgestone

I just got a BT-016 on my rear end and it feels great so far. Part of the reason I bought it is the new Pro Hypersport version is supposed to be the latest and greatest and Bikebandit has a great deal right now, worth a look.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Another vote for Michelin Pilot Road tires. About as much grip on the street as you're likely to ever need with excellent treadwear!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I run Michelin Pilot Road 3s on my 2010 Multistrada 1200S. Also ran them on my '06 S3 until I traded it. Great wet and dry traction and bump absorption. Tread wear is also strong. I ride fairly aggressively, with zero chicken strips and even with the monster torque of the Ducati, I've got over 5,000 miles on them. I'm finally at the wear bars but the transition to full lean is still predictable. When they're new, the turn-in is smooth and predictable, with subtle mid corner adjustments drama free. I ride wet or dry so while I like the OEM Pirellis on the '12 S3R, once they wear out I'll mount the PR3s. If you don't ride in the wet, I understand the PR2s are also excellent.

I used to buy only top-end sport tires but have learned that most high end sport touring tires, including the Bridgestone previously mentioned, will take just about all I can throw at them while lasting longer. Takes trial and error over a few sets to find what you like.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm going to try the conti road attack 2's next spring on my st... Heard nothing but good things on them so far.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Metzeler Z8s have been winning numerous tire tests for wet performance and are also amazing in dry. I have probably 4-4.5k on mine and they are just starting to have a barely noticeable squaring but no impact on handling and still a ton of tread left. Likely these will last 7-8k on the rear, front would be longer. TireTorcher did a good write up and review if you want to see more experience with them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guys !

I was leaning toward the Road Pilot 3 tires.But, the majority of replies pushed me over the edge. Road Pilot 3 is the winner! I will keep the performance,sticky tires on my 675 Daytona for track days.The RP 3s for the Spd Trip R!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yup PR3s here too. 12,500kms and still 2mm front and 3mm rear tread left. I'm not a fast / aggressive rider - so they suit my style and need for confidence in the wet well

·
Registered
179 Posts
Is there a reason Triumph only recommends certain tires? I was browsing through the 2012 manual, and it list tires for the regular speedie and the R model. Personally, I would like to use a good sport touring tire like the Dunlop RoadSmart series I use on my SV.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
It's just what they recommend, you can always use something different. It is probably some sort of deal they have with the tire manufacturer.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yup PR3s here too. 12,500kms and still 2mm front and 3mm rear tread left. I'm not a fast / aggressive rider - so they suit my style and need for confidence in the wet well
I'm fairly agressive on the street and have never run out of grip with the PR2. I wouldn't jump on the brakes while draggin' knee mid corner like I did on my race bike with slicks, but they're more than enough for me on the road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have 1500 miles on the stock metzler racetecs and they are squared off and looking like they need replaced in the next 500-800 miles. Front tire looks ok, thinking about matching the front with a metz m5 in the rear.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is there a reason Triumph only recommends certain tires? I was browsing through the 2012 manual, and it list tires for the regular speedie and the R model. Personally, I would like to use a good sport touring tire like the Dunlop RoadSmart series I use on my SV.
My opinion is that those tyre companies pay them to be recommended. Of course Triumph feels they are good enough (after they test them) or they wouldn't put them in the list. The year I bought my S3 they were recommending Mobil 1 syn and then the following year it was Castrol. It's all about the dollar.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
168 Posts
I know its not the same thing, and I probably don't ride as hard in a corner as some of you, but I went from Metzler Racetech K3s that are on the standard S3 to the BT-016. Turn in is almost the same, maybe a TAD slower, and the rear feels a tiny bit.. lighter? if that makes sense but I haven't had any issues with the back tire sliding or spinning up. In fact I think the BT016 is better on dirtier roads with a little bit of gravel or dirt packed on from trucks etc but I also ran the RaceTech a little past its wear bar. It was pretty bad when I finally yanked it off. I also run a higher pressure in the back now than I was (32 cold on the racetech, 40 cold on the Bt016). I'd say its a great tire, but everyones riding style and needs are different.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts